Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bit about the 96 engine and heat issues. But, it was in a thread on RK. The FXSTC I just got has V&H cone air filter and V&H Big Radius pipes. Is heat an issue? Is it at all speeds (freeway?) or just idle at lights or low speed driving. I thought maybe the RK fairing helped aggravate the heat issue.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
They are all hot. The windshields & fairings make it more noticeable, also the exhaust configuration. My Electra Glide (stage 1 & true duals) is quite uncomfortable in slow traffic in the summer. Even with the plastic saddle shields. People differ in their tolerance to the heat.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
I got stuck in Friday afternoon southbound traffic on I95 coming out of DC on my '01 UC, no heat shields. By the time I made it out of the traffic my inner thighs felt like they were on fire. I got to VA Beach a few hours later and when I got in the shower I saw a first degree burn on the back side of both thighs. Decided then and there to get heat shields. They help, but yes, you will get heat, lots of it when there is no real air flow past the engine.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
With the fairing & lowers, I notice the heat more when stopped. But nothing more than to be expected when sitting on top of a engine. Whenever possible, I do my best to plan my rides to avoid any slow or stop-n-go traffic.

The stage 1 w/tuner, oil cooler, syn oils in combination all helped.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
It must be all the plastic on the touring models blocking the breeze and letting the heat rise straight up. I've never been uncomfy on my FXDC even on the hottest days. The radiant heat from the pavement is more noticable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts