Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 flhtci has a knocking sound that gets worse when I let off the throttle , not as bad when accelerating, seems to almost go away when decelerating. I always run 93 octain gas. My bike has 38000 miles and uses no oil. Oil pressure is about 30 lbs. when cold and about 20 lbs. warm at 65 mph. I have tried to track down the noise with a stethoscope and I hear nothing in the lower end. Seems loudest around the top of the front cylinder. If it was in a car I would say it was a rod starting to knock but I have put about 2000 miles on it and as I said I hear no noise in the lower end.
I bought this bike used with 36,000 miles on it and it appears to have been well taken care of.
This noise is there when accelerating, is worse when I let off the throttle slightly and almost goes away let off the throttle completely.
Any help would be appreciated.:frown

·
Registered
42,094 Posts
A roller bearing on a lifter that has grenaded can sound like that.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My 97 flhtci has a knocking sound that gets worse when I let off the throttle , not as bad when accelerating, seems to almost go away when decelerating. I always run 93 octain gas. My bike has 38000 miles and uses no oil. Oil pressure is about 30 lbs. when cold and about 20 lbs. warm at 65 mph. I have tried to track down the noise with a stethoscope and I hear nothing in the lower end. Seems loudest around the top of the front cylinder. If it was in a car I would say it was a rod starting to knock but I have put about 2000 miles on it and as I said I hear no noise in the lower end.
I bought this bike used with 36,000 miles on it and it appears to have been well taken care of.
This noise is there when accelerating, is worse when I let off the throttle slightly and almost goes away let off the throttle completely.
Any help would be appreciated.:frown
Pull the cam cover and look at the cam and lifters . If all is well in there, pull the head cover and look at the rocker arm shafts , if the bearings are worn, it'll knock like he11 under a load .

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
FYI, the '97 model year big twin EVOs had problems with tight con rod bearings. Tight setup during assembly at the MoCo. Symptoms were a knocking sound and a slight squeal when the engine is shut down.
The good news is the engine can run forever with this condition !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a project for over the winter, if it gets no worse. When I hear it loudest is when I let off slightly and there is no load on engine. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts