Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I'm new to the forum and just picked my first Harley! An issue I'm stressing about though is a fast vibration when in fourth gear. Fast enough that I can't focus on road signs! Not a heavy vibration. Didn't notice it On my test drive as naturally it started raining! So if anyone knows any common issues that would be awesome. Here's a pic of the new (to me) ride!!

Attachments

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

I would replace the front motor mount. If it goes you will get vibrations and being it's a 97 it probably needs replacing.

-Rohan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It feels like as soon as your into forth. After some looking around found the brackets for the left bag broken close to the muffler and the bracket that bolts under the seat and to the frame completely loose. Top one broken off into frame and lower one missing bolt. So I guess it could be the left exhaust vibrating at 50mph. Rear tire is cupped too. It's just funny that it's right when shifting into 4th. Also you can kind of feel it when coasting down. I have tires in the way and going to drill out the bolt in frame and secure the brackets tonight.

·
American
28,658 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
It feels like as soon as your into forth. After some looking around found the brackets for the left bag broken close to the muffler and the bracket that bolts under the seat and to the frame completely loose. Top one broken off into frame and lower one missing bolt. So I guess it could be the left exhaust vibrating at 50mph. Rear tire is cupped too. It's just funny that it's right when shifting into 4th. Also you can kind of feel it when coasting down. I have tires in the way and going to drill out the bolt in frame and secure the brackets tonight.

Yeah definitely get those brackets fixed before the rest of them start to fail. On our older RKs they rely on each other for support and if any component fails the rest of the bracket system will follow. I'm sure that cupped tire is not helping any with the vibration either lol.

-Rohan

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the bolts out of the frame and secured all the brackets. Then I test drove and the vibration is gone. Other than the tire that is. Thanks for the welcome and the help!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Well I got the bolts out of the frame and secured all the brackets. Then I test drove and the vibration is gone. Other than the tire that is. Thanks for the welcome and the help!

Good stuff! Glad it wasn't anything too serious.

-Rohan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts