Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front fitting at the bottom of the gas tank is spraying fuel when I move the fitting. It has been changed to stainless steel lines already by the previous owner. Any ideas on the fix?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Front fitting at the bottom of the gas tank is spraying fuel when I move the fitting. It has been changed to stainless steel lines already by the previous owner. Any ideas on the fix?
1) Check to see if it tight.
2) Remove and replace the O ring on male fitting .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fitting is tight, that was the first thing I checked. Is gas going to run out of the tank when I remove this fitting? I've read about a check valve in there.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The fitting is tight, that was the first thing I checked. Is gas going to run out of the tank when I remove this fitting? I've read about a check valve in there.
If the check valve is lose (it happens) fuel will run out of the tank bung, if it's tight no fuel loss.
Special tool used to tighten the check valve.

·
Banned
71 Posts
61407-95A Check Valve out (w/o-ring not shown)
61408-95A Check Valve in (w/o-ring not shown)
(2) 11246 O-rings

In the exploded view the check valves/w o-rings screw into the tank and the threaded hoses/w o-rings also screw in the tank after them .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I drove 120 miles round trip to get the o rings from a Harley shop that had them. Removed the fuel line from the tank and you were correct ,I had very little gas come out. The ring on the end of the fitting was deformed pretty bad but I don't think it was leaking.
There is a banjo fitting also at this joint. Did some research and from what I can tell the stainless fuel lines are aftermarket Goodridge brand part# HDFL005 and they have a replacement o ring set with snap rings for this line set Goodridge#HDFL5-SET. I ordered them from phat performance.
When I took apart the banjo I also found these o rings deformed and flipped over the large one that was leaking to try and get by until my parts come. The leak is better but not will still spray if the fitting moves. It will have to sit until I get the parts, bummer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The parts from phat performence are scheduled to show up today, I ordered them on sept. 17th. Just be aware that this business is in no hurry to get your order out the door on its way to you, the website said they were in stock when I placed the order. In the meantime I went to autozone and bought a metric o ring kit for $7.00 that had the sizes I needed. No more leaks! Back in the wind!

·
Banned
71 Posts
The parts from phat performence are scheduled to show up today, I ordered them on sept. 17th. Just be aware that this business is in no hurry to get your order out the door on its way to you, the website said they were in stock when I placed the order. In the meantime I went to autozone and bought a metric o ring kit for $7.00 that had the sizes I needed. No more leaks! Back in the wind!
Just so that you will know................ you can get most Orings from a tractor supply house , like J-D . :thumb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was concerned about the material the o rings are made of. Buna-n o rings will not hold up to any kind of petroleum product for long. The ones I got at autozone say they are automotive grade, what ever that means so I'm not sure what they are made of. All o rings are not created equal, that is why you see such a price difference. If the ones I used are in fact made of Buna-n rubber they swell up and distort in a short period of time. Now that I have the kit which did finally come yesterday, I can change them to the correct material that should hold up to gasoline when I have the opertunity.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I was concerned about the material the o rings are made of. Buna-n o rings will not hold up to any kind of petroleum product for long. The ones I got at autozone say they are automotive grade, what ever that means so I'm not sure what they are made of. All o rings are not created equal, that is why you see such a price difference. If the ones I used are in fact made of Buna-n rubber they swell up and distort in a short period of time. Now that I have the kit which did finally come yesterday, I can change them to the correct material that should hold up to gasoline when I have the opertunity.
90 duro Orings are the best material you will likely come across . They will withstand 400* temps and petroleum products .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where can I buy a check valve 61408-95A?

Does anyone know where to purchase a 61408-95A Check Valve in? I botched mine during a fuel tank repair. Harley has obsoleted the part and I have yet to find one remaining in anyone's stock nor an aftermarket product.

·
Frozen Member
2,329 Posts
Does anyone know where to purchase a 61408-95A Check Valve in? I botched mine during a fuel tank repair. Harley has obsoleted the part and I have yet to find one remaining in anyone's stock nor an aftermarket product.
Ask your dealership to check around. They can look for it in inventory at other dealerships.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts