Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this bike a few days ago. Looks new but is 22 yrs old with 48000 on the odometer. My problem is the speedo sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't. Will go to maybe 40 mph then dump to zero and the odo window flashes & blinks from time to time. Here's what I've done: 1. Pulled the sensor and found it clean. Cleaned it anyway. 2. Pulled the seat, opened all the connectors, sprayed them and re-connected. 3. Checked battery voltage at 2500 rpm. Never over 14 v. 4. Removed the dash, pulled the connectors, cleaned and re-connected.

Still no speedo. Again sometimes below 35 or 40 works for awhile.
Someone out there MUST have seen this problem before. Please, PLEASE enlighten me. I'm 75 and can't afford the Shops/Dealers.
Thanks all
Gymheart
Mesa, AZ:confused:

·
Retired citizen
23,080 Posts
Check for codes using the speedo odometer. The procedure is a DTC sticky in the electrical section. The code numbers correlate to a description in the sticky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check for codes using the speedo odometer. The procedure is a DTC sticky in the electrical section. The code numbers correlate to a description in the sticky.
I know I'm old and crotchity but I had to research to find out what DTC means. Then the "sticky" part. I've looked all thru the service manual for troubleshooting DTCs and can find nothing at all. When I got the codes d025et & d085et I tried to find them, too. No luck. All the videos concerning the codes pertain to the newer bikes. I may just have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Pray for me. Thanks much for you input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good morning, did you get your speedometer working? I’ve had a similar maybe weirder issue With my 1996 Lowrider. I’ve removed the harness under the seat and proved each wire for shorts from front to back. I also couldn’t pull any speedo codes. I’m thinking my speedo is done.

have you tested your speed sensor?

·
Retired citizen
23,080 Posts
I know I'm old and crotchity but I had to research to find out what DTC means. Then the "sticky" part. I've looked all thru the service manual for troubleshooting DTCs and can find nothing at all. When I got the codes d025et & d085et I tried to find them, too. No luck. All the videos concerning the codes pertain to the newer bikes. I may just have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Pray for me. Thanks much for you input.
The codes you posted are wrong, should be d02set and d08set. So 2 codes are set 02 and 08 and they are explained in the electrical section stickys.
Also the Harley service manuals don't have electrical diagnostics just schematics at the back pages. The Electrical Diagnostics manual has all the testing procedures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts