Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
91 FXLR
41 Posts
On the Speedo, you will have to go after market if its not related to the Fuse Blowing Short. I would recommend buying the Manual for that bike at the Harley Dealer and using it as the guide to trouble shooting the issue/problem.
If that Trouble Shooting guide revels nothing then you need to find someone that can address and resolve it. I hate electrical problems.
Good Luck..!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it, I ordered the manual! Should be here this week, I’ve checked everywhere under the rear fender, in my hand controls in the fairing, I keep coming up empty handed so more than likely I’ll be living with the short or I’ll be taking it the shop

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay so I went a put new bulbs in all the gauges some had no bulb in them the only one that works is the speedometer, I don’t get it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I also have this big plug and it’s not plugged to anything? So I’m guessing I’m not getting power to the other gauges and also have this tucked up by my fuse box

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay so there is a black wire coming off of a harness with 4 bigger gauged red wires the black wire was pushed in with another wire looks like it’s for the old blinker I unhooked it and put a fuse in it and it didn’t blow, I put them back together and it blew. The black wire coming off the harness is hot, so when I put them together it blows the gauge fuse but has my running lights on, I unhook and it fuse and the fuse doesn’t blow but I have no running lights,

·
Retired citizen
22,484 Posts
The first pic shows the cruise control harness. Your bike doesn't have cruise so those wires aren't used.
The second pic shows the grey connector that goes to the right or left side handlebar switches. If it has a violet wire in it then it's the left side. (Right and left sitting on the bike)

The large red wires are for the ignition switch. The ignition wires are protected by the main 40 amp breaker. Black wires should never be hot B+.

The harness that runs along the right side of the frame between the tank and the fork neck is where the large red ignition wire is known to break and short out. If you get any reaction from the electrical system with the ignition on when moving that harness around, pushing and pulling, then that wire is suspect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quick question will a 96 flht speedometer fit my 98 Electra glide? It said it would so I ordered it and it doesn’t look right at all even the clips I’ll post pics

21 - 31 of 31 Posts