Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I was planning on replacing my cam (98 Softail), currently leaning towards the Andrews EV27. Was wondering which adjustable push rods would be a decent replacement for the stock ones, which I plan on cutting off for removal, as I would rather not have to spend the time removing the rocker boxes.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Banned
71 Posts
This winter I was planning on replacing my cam (98 Softail), currently leaning towards the Andrews EV27. Was wondering which adjustable push rods would be a decent replacement for the stock ones, which I plan on cutting off for removal, as I would rather not have to spend the time removing the rocker boxes.

Thanks,

Jim
There is a SE Quick change kit out . :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Several good one out there. Just make sure you get the ez-install ones... Some of the adjustable still require you to take the rockers off.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Yes to the previous posts. Read the description on the pushrods. Usually quickee or e-z are the ones that collapse enough that the rocker box does not need to come off. Most others do require removal.
I've had good luck with Andrews and S&S brands.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
If a "cam only" build is on your mind, then put an eyeball on that Crane 300.
It'll out-power the 27 as a bolt-in only, where the 27 will show more once the proper compression is introduced, but if moving in that direction, a Wood 6 would be the way to go.
S&S pushrods would be our choice here, and beware at 25,000 miles, the moco reccomended to "inspect and/or replace" the lifters on those Evo's.:)
Scott

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
ide go with the S&S quickie p/rods & just replace the rollers on your lifters,ALOT cheaper than buying new lifters

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Replacing rollers isn't that easy. Pins require 6000lbs pinch point to insure they don't walk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I have read a number of posts that seem to indicate that Woods cams are significantly noisier than either an S&S or Andrews’s cam. Anyone care to add their thoughts on that?

Thanks.

·
Banned
71 Posts
EV 27 and SE 3 ( only .005 difference in lift ) have been around for over a decade now, both are "bolt in" and run fairly quite .

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Replacing rollers isn't that easy. Pins require 6000lbs pinch point to insure they don't walk.
We've done it here on Evo's, Shovel's, Pan's, and Iron XL's for well over 25 years now.
Walk in the park.
As Kirby suggested, less expensive as long as the hydraulic lifter itself is functioning correctly.:)
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts