Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to the great members of forum! Found the vac leak, raing said f-it test drive anyway bit wet, but smiling! No bog out at any throttle twist runs strong, idles better but now I can get into it go! All for a loose vent line found and reinstalled, was not off, but when I breathed on it lol it just about fell off, would be nuts waiting for Aug 3 appointment with mechanic. Picture of problem, now remove and clamp that mother$!#[email protected]@!
20210714_123637.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help K

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Hate to tell ya that's not a vacuum hose, it's the gas tank vent hose connected to the vapor valve.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure your correct, found it loose, it runs correctly now, but appreciate your advice as it lead me down a good path

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And it obviously has a huge influence on how the bike runs

·
weird member
3,042 Posts
Odd that would change anything. Where it connects is a valve, which then goes to atmosphere. Unhooked, goes directly to atmosphere. The valve just keeps fuel vapors from coming out of the tank vent line while allowing air to come in to the tank as the gasoline levels in the tank drop. Honestly, there's no vacuum there at all, not really.

The only way that line would cause problems is if it was pinched shut. Then, air wouldn't move into the gas tank, which wouldn't let the gas run out. Think of it like a water jug, flip it over and it glugs unless you poke a hole in the bottom, then it pours. That line is basically the hole in the bottom of the jug when it's turned over. Difference between the jug and the fuel tank though is that the jug can crunch in whereas the tank cannot, and air can go back in the mouth of the jug but air can't really go back into the tank through the fuel line, at least not the same way as the jug example.

Anyway, that line being unhooked shouldn't change anything about how the bike runs, other than being able to smell fuel vapors from the gas tank.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea why, not a Harley mechanic, for some reason my bike runs very nice afterwards. Always have appreciated your advice. But have no clue why it runs now well, it is the only thing I put my hands on for days. May be sunny tommorow, crank some miles tc

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some miles in today in Maine, 76 humid t shirt day,
riding the back roads, dodging thunderstorms. Bike runs very well, strong, been way off speed limit, just checking out my bike officer honest, 😆 live about 2 miles from coast and Route 1, tourist deathtrap downtown hence stay off route 1!
20210715_125352.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts