Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...
My '98 Road King acts like it is out of gas when the tank is still half full. It quits and won't start, unless I switch over to reserve and then it starts just fine. Go to a gas station... only needs about 1.5 gallons to fill up.

Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mud dauber nest in vent line, bad petcock gasket or faulty voes. I'm just guessing on the voes cause it hooks to the petcock and that would affect the ignition advance.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mud dauber nest in vent line, bad petcock gasket or faulty voes. I'm just guessing on the voes cause it hooks to the petcock and that would affect the ignition advance.
Hope this helps.

Ummmm.... can you translate that for the mechanically challenged? I understood "petcock", "gasket" and "ignition".
:Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
The voes is vacuum operated electric switch. It's the device on the carb with wires attached and it controls the ignition advance when accelerating. It has a small rubber hose that hooks to the petcock providing vacuum and if it has a sucking air leak the petcock may be shutting off. If you have EFI fuel injection then disregard my comment on the voes.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You may just have some crud on your petcock screen. Take a look at it.
Ditto. Yank the petcock and clean the screen. It's full of crud, whick is why it runs on the lower set "reserve" tube, next to it.

It's not your carb, and if it runs on reserve, it's in the tank.

Welcome, as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts