Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It's the ground for the handlebars as they're rubber mounted......no ground to frame.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I upgraded to poly bushings n my indy just left the wire off n gave it to me in case there was a problem. That was three years ago n have had no problems since. Don't see why its there in first place if not necessary, ne one no the point of this wire?

·
Registered
12,775 Posts
I upgraded to poly bushings n my indy just left the wire off n gave it to me in case there was a problem. That was three years ago n have had no problems since. Don't see why its there in first place if not necessary, ne one no the point of this wire?
With all the new low voltage electronics, manufacturers like every thing to be grounded. Small static charge can cause problems. There are grounds for almost every thing in aerospace and extras.. :fitz:eek

·
Registered
365 Posts
ah, so basically its over kill I take it. Like you said everything is grounded separately. I just cant figure exactly what this wire is supposed to be grounding due to its location, anyone?

·
Registered
12,775 Posts
Well at high speeds, the air flowing over the handle bars can cause a static charge, especially if there is low moisture content in air. May inadvertently shock rider if not wearing gloves. Rapid departure is then possible due to wind blast pushing rider off bike. The static from local police who may find you lying in middle of road obstructing traffic can result in a heavy charge. Now you know.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you SofTail Bill!!! I have rubber grips n most usually wear at least fingerless gloves (had bad experience with a bee sting on hand while riding). So I should be safe. I really appreciate the knowledge, I am still learning, n have lot to learn yet. The great people on here like yourself make that easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts