Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When pressing the starter button tach jumps and there is a slight hum/buzz. No starter action, clicks. Changed starter relay, still the same. The last thing I did was change the turn signal indicator bulb. Help

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Low battery volts ? The battery should measure at least 12.8v static, 13.5 plus volts with the engine running. Test volts across the battery terminals. If running volts are low then the charging system needs to be tested.

Reactions: Elwoodfred

·
Registered
127 Posts
Low battery volts ? The battery should measure at least 12.8v static, 13.5 plus volts with the engine running. Test volts across the battery terminals. If running volts are low then the charging system needs to be tested.

+1 to this

Check the battery, usually when the start clicks like that it means it's not getting enough juice.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Also check the negative battery cable that runs from the battery to a lug on the frame, then another cable that runs to the starter mount bolt. The frame lug can loosen and/or corrode causing problem like yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You, battery tender has the battery at 11.4 volts. I will check the grounds and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank You, battery tender has the battery at 11.4 volts. I will check the grounds and let you know what I find.
Ding Ding, found your problem most likely.

11.4v isn't enough to start I believe, at least when I was working on my charging issues, bike wouldn't start til battery was at least 12 volts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts