Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, bought a bike a month or so ago. It has 25k miles on it, it's got a carb kit, tuned piped with lolly pops and K&N air filter. I dont know if I just haven't noticed it before of if it just started but I'm hearing a thuding / thumping sound from the engine. I haven't been around enough Evos to know if its normal or bad. I hear it the most in the front jug, I think.

Any info is greatly appreciated. I posted a short video on Youtube. Hope its not a violation to link to it... I tried to upload here but it told me I was missing a security token.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tag3it-W6Z0

Thanks,
Rik

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Carb sucking air. You can hear the pulses with an open filter over a stock one.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Just be aware that a service bulletin came down to the dealership service depts to "inspect and/or replace" the lifters on those @ 25,000 miles.
Scott

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just be aware that a service bulletin came down to the dealership service depts to "inspect and/or replace" the lifters on those @ 25,000 miles.
Scott
Is that the sound lifters would make? And they're still putting out service bulletins on 15 year old engines?

Thanks,
Rik

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Lifters failing with make a "clacking" sound. The most common one on and evo is the front exhaust lifter. Check and clean your tappet screen. Make sure you have no exhaust leaks at head. Guys get fooled a lot thinking that's a valve tap. As well......with drag pipes, it makes engine noises harder to hear until they're worse.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Is that the sound lifters would make? And they're still putting out service bulletins on 15 year old engines?

Thanks,
Rik
I cannot correctly decipher sounds/noises on the interweb, but was just alerting you to that notice, seeing that your currently at that mileage, not ruling out the possibility of a lifter.
And no, the bulletin was issued back in the 1990's....

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot correctly decipher sounds/noises on the interweb, but was just alerting you to that notice, seeing that your currently at that mileage, not ruling out the possibility of a lifter.
And no, the bulletin was issued back in the 1990's....
My response was at like 5am before coffee. On a wide awake re-read it was a stupid response and I sounded like a JA.

Thank you for the reply and the info. I'll ask the mech about it when I take it in. I know the engine has been opened up and supposedly has been honed or bored, but I really don't know much else beyond that about the actual mechanical maintenance.

Rik

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I NEED the coffee as well in the morning. No aplogies needed.:thumbsup
Hope you get to the bottom of that noise.
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts