Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’ve searched through 15 pages of posts, used the search function here, google and youtube and still can’t find a simple, straight answer to my question.

Trying to hook up driving lights to a 99 Softail Custom. I want them on with the bike running, period. I may install a switch later. I don’t do much night riding but when I do, I want ALL the light I can get. If it’s actually easier to hook up to the high/low thing, then ok… I’ll do it just to get it done.

The headlight is H-D OEM off a 2012. It has 2 black, one white and one yellow wire coming out of the plug. It also has a shorter yellow connector that I’m pretty sure is for the high/low kill switch for the driving lights.

The first pic is the light harness with the extra ground and the extra yellow wire.

The next pic is the plug on the bike that the headlight plugs into. No clue what the orange wire does and there are only three pins on the plug coming from the headlight.

The last pic is of the rats nest I found when I removed the headlight. I assume the blinkers (will be moved outboard next) are the green and black wires (but the rear blinkers were black and white). Obviously the driving lights are the blue wires. I assume the broken yellow plug is just a ground wire. Not sure why it was that way.

Please type slowly and loudly and help me figure out exactly what and where to connect the driving lights to. This is a 99 so I don’t have all the extra accessory plugs of the new bikes. I’m also not a mech or an electrical guy so I don’t have the in depth knowledge or the meters to test this and that…. I bought the bike a couple months ago (my first HD) and I’m trying to fix the existing issues. He never wired the driving lights, just hung them. I do know how to soldier and use heat shrink.

Thanks,
Rik

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
What model bike is the light bar from?

Does the light bar also have turn signals?

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What model bike is the light bar from?

It looks like you are missing some wiring on the light bar.
It was there when I bought the bike. No blinkers and no clue where it came from. There is no writing on it that I can see. The shield was a National Cycle and the bar resembles the NC type but that's just a guess. I guess it would be missing a ground wire? I just checked and there is only the blue wire coming out of the housing. Nothing else.

Thanks,
Rik

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
On your bike harness headlight plug, the orange wire doesn`t go to anything on models sold in the U.S.

Standard coloring for headlights on Harleys is:

Yellow=low beam

White=high beam

Black=ground.

The separate yellow wire will be the power source to your driving light switch.

The driving lights will connect to the switch.

This will power your driving lights when the low beams are on, like the factory designed it to (to comply with DOT regulations).

Remove the lamps from the housings and you will be able to check out the internal wiring. There should be a wire connected to each lamp, those wires should be joined together and then the single wire will connect to the switch.

There should also be a ground wire on each bulb housing that will connect to the bulb.

Make sure you have a good ground wire from the forks to the frame somewhere, so that the current does not pass through the steering head bearings.

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On your bike harness headlight plug, the orange wire doesn`t go to anything on models sold in the U.S.

Standard coloring for headlights on Harleys is:

Yellow=low beam

White=high beam

Black=ground.

The separate yellow wire will be the power source to your driving light switch.

The driving lights will connect to the switch.

This will power your driving lights when the low beams are on, like the factory designed it to (to comply with DOT regulations).
So I which wire do I connect what to? Not sure which wire goes to the switch on the handle bars and I do not have a separate switch. If I need one, I"ll get it t but if I can "easily" connect it as-is that's ideal I guess. No need for separate switch if they're going to shut off with the high beam anyway. There doesn't need to be a ground coming from the driving lights themselves?

I appreciate your replies and your patience. Thank you!
Rik

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you don`t want the option to shut off the driving lights, you could simply connect the yellow wire to the wire that connects to the bulbs in the light bar.

The driving lights should be grounded to the housing, remove the bulbs and take a look.

You should already have a ground wire connected to the triple clamp area that grounds to the frame.

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You called it. The driving lights are grounded to the housing. The headlight has a second, separate ground from the headlight to the frame, but I do not see a ground from the forks to the frame unless its in some of the wrapped bundles. This is something I need to do then?

Thanks,
Rik

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The light bar is set up to ground to the forks, so the forks would need to be grounded to the frame.

But if you don`t have a place to mount a wire to the forks for ground, you could run the ground wires from the bulbs all the way back to the frame (instead of grounding them to the housing).

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much Dan. I really appreciate the help and the quick replies!

She's all lit up now and well grounded.

I don't see how there could be, but am I missing some way to adjust the height of the driving lights or are you just stuck with hoping they're level? I guess I'll have to go to a shop to get the headlight adjusted and unless there's a garage trick to that too.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
To adjust the driving lights, loosen the nut underneath and reposition the light.

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To adjust the driving lights, loosen the nut underneath and reposition the light.
I must be missing something. All that does is adjust left/right. I need to adjust up/down. Once I loosen it, I can point it a little lower but as soon as I tighten it, it goes right back up.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sorry, I think I gave you some bad info.

I was thinking of the units that have the signal lamps underneath, and that is how you adjust them (and it just may be the most frustrating job you can attempt...).

Hopefully someone can chime in....

·
1999 FXSTC
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry, I think I gave you some bad info.

I was thinking of the units that have the signal lamps underneath, and that is how you adjust them (and it just may be the most frustrating job you can attempt...).

Hopefully someone can chime in....
I kinda figured it out... There is no up/down adjustment. I rotated the bulb 180 degrees and it went from the ceiling to the road :banghead

I appreciate all your help!
:thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts