Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smooth Operator!
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after getting this thing into a rolling chassis I discovered a couple of problems. One the neck is too short 7 inches were the Buell is 8 inches so I have an inch of slop in the neck. Two the rear axle is only 1 inch and the Buell hub/bearing is 30mm, so I have just under a quarter of an inch of up and down slop in the rear wheel. Now neither one of those are real show stoppers, but I'm not done yet. I started to take measurements of the motor mounts on the motor and the ones that came with the frame. The rear one looked like it might work with some modification but the the front and top mounts were a no go. I took my manuals to work and scanned and emailed the builder pages from the manual, and then called him up. He agreed it wasn't correct and that he would call later with a solution. Well about 8 O'Clock at night he calls me up and apologizes for everything says its fucked up and that he has an idea. Well long story short he is shipping my XB motor up to South Dakota so they can build me a new frame around the motor. He also said I could keep the frame that I have and sale or keep it a 2k dollar value. I'm pretty happy with that so far, but we will have to see. My project is dangerously behind schedule because of this, and will be pissed if its not done before my wife gets back.:mad:

·
Smooth Operator!
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Toby he is going to take care of the neck and axle issue. Whats going to be funny is the guy Ive been talking to and another guy are going to the V twin Expo next weekend and guess who will be there too! Yours truly is gonna walk over to his booth and give him some words of encouragement.:eek:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Toby he is going to take care of the neck and axle issue. Whats going to be funny is the guy Ive been talking to and another guy are going to the V twin Expo next weekend and guess who will be there too! Your truly is gonna walk over to his booth and give him some words of encouragement.:eek:
:rofl: Hell yeah! I'd wait till a big crowd shows up, and then walk over and talk "customer service". It would be fun watching him squirm, not wanting you to say anything about how bad they skrewd you with the first one!

·
Smooth Operator!
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toby they have my motor and building me a new frame, he is calling me tomorrow with a date. So its still a cluster ****!:confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just read this thread. It sounds like the frame was built for a front end off a tuber model Buell. I dont know about the axel I'm not sure if the early models were 1in or 30mm, not that it makes any difference now that they made you a different frame.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Sort of a lesson to us all.

At work I spec EVERYTHING down to font styles and colors. Still I miss stuff and am amazed at how certaing things that seem so obvious can get so screwed up. I bet your neck issue about made the poor guy barf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts