Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying one ,but even though I've riden alot of bikes for over 25 years .I've never riden a springer can any one tell me how,if any,different they are to ride
 

·
Old Member
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Welcome neighbor. The biggest difference is a rougher ride with a springer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
From personal experience with a Harley Springer:
They handle like any other hydraglide. The ride is rougher because of course, there isn't as much dampening effect and you feel the vibration from the road. No problem as long as you do the speed limit but when you get to 95+ they get squirrelly.
The biggest thing is that they are a maintenance headache because they require servicing every 2,500 miles.
If you're in it for the look, they're cool but if you’re in it for a smooth, low maintenance ride then avoid them.
Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I have a heritage springer with the larger front tire and don't have any squirrelly problems up to 115. I've put 9000 miles on it since I purchased and haven't done any maintenance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have 2 springers, they ride great. Never squirrely. The maintanance is low. People who don't know better knock the springer, almost like the people who say fatboy's with solid wheels get blown all over the plac. Urban legends.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,142 Posts
I am here to tell you, that crosswind shear is stronger on solid wheels than it is on spokes. putting a spoke on just the front helps 80%, you pick up the other 20% when swapping out the rear. with spokes the wind pushes the top of the bike (bike leans in direction of wind) with solids, bottom of bike is pushed, bike leans into the wind. First hand experience talking, no urban legend here
 

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
Joined
·
31,321 Posts
...almost like the people who say fatboy's with solid wheels get blown all over the plac. Urban legends.
You obviously never rode a bike with the old solid wheels, on a windy day.

Hence, HD's reasoning for cutting slots in them, on the newer rides.

Urban legend......that's funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I don't know how much difference there is between the old springers and new ones, my guess is that there isn't much pretty much followed the same design. I've ridden with hydraulic forks and a springer on mine. It's definately a different ride. As to being rougher I wouldn't say it is. With the forks going down the road they compress and expand. With a springer as you go down the road the front wheel moves forward and aft giving you that different feeling.I rebuilt mine in 98 and haven't needed to do any maintenance on it since. Probably got about 10k on it. I can't say how it handles at 95+, haven't had the old girl up to that speed in years. Like to think she still can but wisdom over rides that. :lol8 The springer handles fine at highway speeds. My suggestion is get on one and try before you make the commitment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I had a fatboy, crosswinds were no worse than any other bike. Ever think that HD just made changes to the fatboy because they are not the top seller anymore?
 

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
Joined
·
31,321 Posts
I had a fatboy, crosswinds were no worse than any other bike. Ever think that HD just made changes to the fatboy because they are not the top seller anymore?
Could have been, but the complaints were real. Some riders felt a difference and some don't. I had the wheels on another bike and felt it during high cross winds, in which it was not present with spoked wheels. Some people say yes, some say no. I'm also referring to the first generation, solid wheels with no slots in them.

Either way, it's not a reason for me to NOT buy the bike, as some people decided.
 

·
Just passing thru
Joined
·
6,636 Posts
I am here to tell you, that crosswind shear is stronger on solid wheels than it is on spokes. putting a spoke on just the front helps 80%, you pick up the other 20% when swapping out the rear. with spokes the wind pushes the top of the bike (bike leans in direction of wind) with solids, bottom of bike is pushed, bike leans into the wind. First hand experience talking, no urban legend here

Agreed. This is a very common subject on vrod forums due to the fact the earlier models came with solid rims as well. Then in 06? they cut large slots in them but they still have a large broadside area.

I just recently swapped out my front rim to this



I used to have this rim on the front. Not the best shot but if you look at the wheels shadow you can see the profile





I had the opportunity to test it out in windy conditions the other day. I purposely took it over a local bridge in 35 to 40 mph sidewinds over open waters and can definitely feel a difference.

I've been just fine with the original rims but it feels much better to me now.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top