Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 dyna wg. w/24xxx on the motor. It's stock other than a set of V&H "bigshots" exhaust and a proper jetting of the stock carb. I believe it has the stage1 setup. The fuel tank will hold 5.2 gal. including a 1.2 gal. in reserve. Is it kinda normal for general running around town to only be getting about 127 miles on the primary tank? Or should i check out my carb jetting?...i know alot of stop and go driving can lead to some crappy numbers, but really?
Thanx's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Something is wrong...

Bike holds 5.2 gallons. Not 5.2 plus 1.5 reserve. The reserve is part of the total for fuel.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidson_fxdwg_dyna_wide_glide_1999.php

At 5.2 gallons and 127 miles, that's 24.42 to the gallon.

Rich carbed bikes can run as low as in the 30s. Really low 30s with an S&S. Even high 20s.

And that's 5.2 gallons @ 24.42 from filled to brim to "Hello......honey? Can you bring that gas can from the shed?"

My guess is you're pulling mid 30s.

Are you running through reserve?

If not, that's 127 @ 3.8 gal which is 33.42 mpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that. I meant the complete full tank is 5.2gal.
Now i'm not a get on it at every stop
Light kinda rider and the bike is a real first crank starter and also idles right where it needs to be,no missing in any rpm range,and beings how it's my first Harley i think it runs great but is sucking down the gas. My indy. mechanic gave this bike the complete once over and never had an issue with how it runs. I bought it in phoenix in feb.2014 and have been noticing an unusually high fuel consumption.I have paperwork from the previous owner that had the carb rebuilt just prior to my purchase. Maybe the jets are not right or it's still out of whack.
What would you suggest for a remedy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also after inspection of the plugs,they have a dry black soot appearance that cleans up easily. Also here in oregon we have alot of gas stations serving 10% ethanol and i've been using shell gas which i've come to find out is not the best. I think when my previous owner in phx. had the carb redone they may have jetted it rich for the hotter weather in the desert.
Any thoughts on that?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Also after inspection of the plugs,they have a dry black soot appearance that cleans up easily. Also here in oregon we have alot of gas stations serving 10% ethanol and i've been using shell gas which i've come to find out is not the best. I think when my previous owner in phx. had the carb redone they may have jetted it rich for the hotter weather in the desert.
Any thoughts on that?

You're running rich.....what is your jetting? 10% ethanol doesn't cause this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts