Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A girlfriend of mine is giving me her dads 1997 Sportster to try to get running before taking it to shop and spending a lot of money.

He has not run it in 8 or so years and it has been sitting in an enclosed shed.

I need some tips what to do and check other than new battery.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Clean and rebuild the carb. Change all fluids and good gas in tank.

·
Registered
39,454 Posts
Spray some WD40 in the cylinders.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Like mentioned above, spray some WD40 in the cylinders,
and turn the engine over a few times to make sure everything is okay inside.
Install new plugs, battery, fluids, clean the carb, fresh gas, then you should be ready to fire her up!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Sam as above but if it will be put on the road make sure you check the tires, breaks, lights, every nut and bolt. Make sure you flush the break fluid it can pick up moisture. Good luck let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for all the tips! They just nailed my decision to take it to the shop and let them get her going again. Haa....too much for this ol boy to tackle. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
sitting for 8 years? I would think the tires will be dry rotted. I got a 2004 Sporty that I think set for the best part of 2 years and I had the tires replaced because of dry rot showing up on the sidewalls.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
hey guy...shop's gonna ding you for about $380...you can do it yourself or get some kid to do it for about $50
Or I could just come down to Bama and take it off his hands for free, do the service myself and ride it back to Carolina.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts