Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; I am considering a cross country trip from Houston Tx. to the west coast, a trip of about 4,000 miles round trip, on my 08 1200c sportster and am wondering how the bike will fair the trip. Any input would be helpful … Many Thanks… Orion

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
No reason your bike should have any problem, as long as you've kept up the maintenance. Make sure the tires are good the oil is good, and take off. Have a ball!

·
Registered
604 Posts
They're all spot on. Ride the bike as it was designed and you should have no problems.

Tyres with enough tread,
Recent service,
Small bottle of oil just in case of top ups
And you.

Have fun and don't forget to post a daily report :)

Andy

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could be in the running for the "Iron Butt" award! Make sure your maintenance is up to date and ride.
I'm jealous!
Be sure to post frequently as you travel.
Ride safe and God speed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you make sure your maintenance is up to date I'm sure the bike will make the trip. However are you conditioned for the trip? If not you will be when you are done. :nod

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm jealous I'd love to do that. What's the longest ride you've been on? I've had a few 1200 mile 3 day weekends and i think my single longest day was the 650 mile 14 hour say i did last summer. That's on an 06 1200 custom with a stock seat. I do recommend you upgrade the rear shocks if you haven't already. There is someone on here selling their Road King take offs which are what I have they're a huge upgrade from stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Wife of 40 years gave me the bike back in 08 for my birthday and before I road it off I had the dealer replace the stock seat with a sundowner. I also had them put on a windshield and the settle bags. Since then I have road 50,000 miles pretty trouble free. The longest trip I've taken so far is about 400 miles in about 6 hours. As for maintenance, I tend to care for my Sportster better than I care for myself. SD Redneck did make mention of a big concern ...Are you conditioned for the trip ???. At this point it needs attention and I'm working on that since I won't be going for another 6 to 8 weeks so I've got little time to prep. I figure that the weather won't be so unpredictable. With any luck and if the creek don't rise, I'll be ready to run for the Iron butt award Mad Dog 64 mentioned. :eek:) The ride will be about 1,800 miles one way so at this point I'm not sure how I'll split that up by stopping to rest. I've got plenty of time as long as the Visa card holds out, LOL. I'll post again when I jump on the road and then again when I get there. I want to say thanks again for the input and interest.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
your bike will do fine, it's just how YOU will do. That's a pretty long ride on any bike let alone a sporty but it would be a fun ride for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you take the trip? I am thinking about a NJ to Oregon and back on my '14 1200C, what did you pack? What did you wished you packed? What didn,t you need?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
I'm sure the bike would handle the trip better than I would.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did a trip from KCMO to Sturgis and back. Rode a little over 3k miles over the course of 5 days. It was a blast and didn't have any problems. The only issue i ran into was running low on gas (i only have a 2.2 gallon tank so my uncle had a 1 gallon cannister for me) and running into areas that only sold 87 octane gas. Which caused my bike to ping a bit.

You will also notice high RPM's without a 6th gear...but the bike will be fine. I highly suggest a comfortable seat, some sort of luggage system, and a WINDSHIELD. Windshield is very very important. I didn't have one and i wish i did. If you don't have a good seat, buy an airhawk seat pad from Amazon. That is what i had and it saved my butt, pun intended.

Have fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did 2000 miles on my sporty last week.
Bike was perfect, have now decided that there is no need for a touring bike as mine handled the curves of Switzerland and Germany much better than any big touring bike would have done

·
Registered
125 Posts
Perhaps like Forrest Gump instead of running he is riding and riding and, well you know.

·
Mountain Rider
1,343 Posts
I am looking to go from Eastern NC cross country in August. Looking to ride through Montana, Colorado, South Dakota, Utah, and maybe Idaho and maybe California. I have retired recently and this trip is the first thing on my list! Will be riding with 2 or 3 other guys who have all gone before but this will be a first for me. We are planning to take 3 weeks but if it takes a few less or more that will be fine. Don't want to rush through it all. Up til now the longest trip I have done is 4 days, about 1300 miles. A trip I have done twice a year for many years riding the mountains of NC, VA., GA, and WV, TN too. It will be interesting how eager I will be to jump in the saddle on, let's say, day number 15! I am guessing we will not ride hard EVERY day. Chill out some, have a cold beer and do laundry or something. Looking forward to finding out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts