Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would a better motorcycle training course look like in your mind?

I think it would require a course which occurred over several months with the purpose of allowing guided development of skills. There would be classroom learning that would entail intensive scenario instruction and discussion. It would incorporate topics regarding the machine, the roadway, the rider, traffic, hazards and integration of all factors. If possible motorcycle simulation equipment would be utilized before and after ever getting on an actual bike. The on-wheels skills training would be segmented into modules and practice time would be expanded. Utilizing the parking lot ranges the instructors would create mock traffic situations and take the learners through proper navigation. There would be skills tests along the way. A comprehensive skills exam would conclude the course.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
So you want to go to the Police Motorcycle Academy?

Actually a group of folks in the D/FW area get together every Wednesday evening in a big parking lot and set up traffic cones to work on their skills. A couple of them have been trained by Harris Neil.

Harris is a motorcycle instructor out of the Denver, CO area and these skills exercises are based on the Harley Davidson Police Motor Course.

I don't live close enough to take advantage of it, but I am looking to start a similar group in Central Texas this spring.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Nice Lil. I think you covered it all. At the end of the course if you pass you get a Diamond patch!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you want to go to the Police Motorcycle Academy?

Actually a group of folks in the D/FW area get together every Wednesday evening in a big parking lot and set up traffic cones to work on their skills. A couple of them have been trained by Harris Neil.

Harris is a motorcycle instructor out of the Denver, CO area and these skills exercises are based on the Harley Davidson Police Motor Course.

I don't live close enough to take advantage of it, but I am looking to start a similar group in Central Texas this spring.
I would love to pass the Academy course :dance:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
I'd love to see a place to practice hazard avoidance.

I would envision a course that would allow realistic road speeds,
and somehow an unexpected patch of road would suddenly be designated a hazard,
maybe by a series of high mounted spotlights or laser-like beam projectors,
maybe color coded, a red spot 8" in diameter is a piece of road junk,
maybe also a red slash 3 feet long is an exhaust pipe or truck-tire tread.
A broad blue-lighted patch could indicate an oil slick or patch ice.

I'd like to be able to practice emergency braking as well. The problem is,
I'd like it to be at enough speed and braking hard enough to simulate real
emergency situations, but I don't want a miscalculation to mean a spill, with damages and injury.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts