Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2014 XL1200T apperes to be throwing wet rust from the front wheel. From what I understand my bike has sealed bearings. Should this be happening or could the problem be from something else all together ( rusted axel, nuts, etc.)

Also where/how could I go about finding replacement battery cover tabs, preferably metal. The ones on the bike now are barely holding the cover in place and I don't want it falling off as I'm riding.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My best guess is someone used a pressure washer on that hub. Probably blowing out the seal on the bearings. (High water pressure is NOT friendly to bikes) The only way water can get in there to cause rust.

The tabs? My bikes have rubber grommets and a plastic tab thingy holding the covers in place. If they are slipping, replace the rubber grommets. Those covers are spendy compared to the rubber doughnuts. Them aint cheep eitther but, a lot less than the covers. I have not seen metal tabs. I can't attest to it but, i think the chrome covers are also plastic with chrome plating... The battery cover on my wife's Sporty are a PIA to get on and off. Like a snapping Pit Bull.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Found it: Item #22, P/N: 70417-04E* Side cover mounting kit $8.99 at Ronnies HD.

I picked the XL1200V SEVENTY-TWO because the XL1200 T was not listed. The same p/n matched for my '17 XL1200C... its a kit! Not one or the other but, all.

My apologies on my prior post. (I had the rubber grommets in mind that are on my '14 FLHTCU) Sorry bout that!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
So my 2014 XL1200T apperes to be throwing wet rust from the front wheel. From what I understand my bike has sealed bearings. Should this be happening or could the problem be from something else all together ( rusted axel, nuts, etc.)

Also where/how could I go about finding replacement battery cover tabs, preferably metal. The ones on the bike now are barely holding the cover in place and I don't want it falling off as I'm riding.

Thanks in advance
You need to change the bearings...gonna get you if you wait too long,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts