Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1984 FLHTC 1340
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
I recently bought a house in SE Kansas, and the property came with a 1984 FLHTC 1340, not running, but all is there. I've never owned a Harley, never ridden anything larger than a 600cc Ninja, and never wrenched on motorcycles at all. So I am here to work through getting this thing to life.

·
Señor Member
19,710 Posts
Evening all,
I recently bought a house in SE Kansas, and the property came with a 1984 FLHTC 1340, not running, but all is there. I've never owned a Harley, never ridden anything larger than a 600cc Ninja, and never wrenched on motorcycles at all. So I am here to work through getting this thing to life.
Outstanding! Let us know when you get started. Exciting opportunity. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
This just might get interesting! :unsure:

Seriously, welcome to the forum. This sounds like a fun project.

1st things first:
Find or order a Harley Davidson Repair Manual. Not one of those Cylmer or Chiltons but one from Harley. Worst case, they run about $140 or so from the Dealerships Parts Desk. They can order one for any year! (Take your Vin# with you, just in case you need to order keys? or want to know the paint codes and description)
EDIT:
Pictures, we love Pictures!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Greetings from Minnesota! Take some pictures before you start and share them . . . this way we can follow your progress! Cool project!

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
American
27,602 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. We like projects. Could be intresting to follow.

·
Registered
‘02 Softail Deuce
53 Posts
Welcome from Idaho. And yes take pictures so we can follow! And also I wish my house came with a Harley!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,908 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where exactly in SE Kansas? I’m in NE Oklahoma, and there are some members in SE Ks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey there, from W. WA state. Your home came with a vintage Harley, mine came with drapes. Love to see more photos of your ride as it is now.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1984 FLHTC 1340
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@southernman_67 I'm in Sedan.

I'm all for documenting the progress. Where would be the best place to do so? In the proper individual subject forums, or is there a "one-stop-shop" place for a chronological documentation, like in a single subject post with multiple ongoing posts?

·
Registered
40,503 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,908 Posts
@southernman_67 I'm in Sedan.

I'm all for documenting the progress. Where would be the best place to do so? In the proper individual subject forums, or is there a "one-stop-shop" place for a chronological documentation, like in a single subject post with multiple ongoing posts?
you’re only 75 miles from me. @tommytailspin is even closer to you, and very knowledgeable.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
old scoot coot
4,110 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where exactly in SE Kansas? I’m in NE Oklahoma, and there are some members in SE Ks.
i'm in coffeyville. i go through or near sedan all the time during spring summer and fall. for the next couple of months maybe not so much. this winter is proving to be not so ride friendly as a normal year. anyway documentation help would be no problem. don't know what ya have in mind but i'm pretty much next door.

·
old scoot coot
4,110 Posts
i'm in coffeyville. i go through or near sedan all the time during spring summer and fall. for the next couple of months maybe not so much. this winter is proving to be not so ride friendly as a normal year. anyway documentation help would be no problem. don't know what ya have in mind but i'm pretty much next door. welcome to the forum. sounds like a good one to bring back to life. may not take that much to fire it up. the evo engines were pretty tough. i think sportster still uses them. how many miles on the clock?

·
Registered
192 Posts
i'm in coffeyville. i go through or near sedan all the time during spring summer and fall. for the next couple of months maybe not so much. this winter is proving to be not so ride friendly as a normal year. anyway documentation help would be no problem. don't know what ya have in mind but i'm pretty much next door.
Okay, pardon my d e jeja vu, but the last time I heard the name "coffeyville" was in a novel I read in high school. You know the one, I'm sure. Yikes! I had a friend in the military who is from Wellington, KS. Not sure how far that is from you. Does KS still have marijuana growing wild along the roads which doesn't have one bit of THC in it? My buddy told me stories of kids from out of the area who gathered the stuff, but were probably very disappointed afterward. :)

·
old scoot coot
4,110 Posts
Okay, pardon my d e jeja vu, but the last time I heard the name "coffeyville" was in a novel I read in high school. You know the one, I'm sure. Yikes! I had a friend in the military who is from Wellington, KS. Not sure how far that is from you. Does KS still have marijuana growing wild along the roads which doesn't have one bit of THC in it? My buddy told me stories of kids from out of the area who gathered the stuff, but were probably very disappointed afterward. :)
no, there is about a gazillion acres in ft riley comes up in perfect rows every year. no good for recreating though. it was grown there during w w 2 for rope hemp for the navy. oh yea plenty of home grown first class product here. no need to go to colorado. sheriff dept really does not care about maijuana. the bad guys out stealing and breaking in are into meth and harder drugs. welington is about 75 miles west of here. yep three of the dalton gang still reside on the southern most cemetary in town. probably wasn't a really good idea to rob both banks when there was a hardware store right across the street well stocked with guns and ammo. pissed off the locals when ya try and abscond with their money. the surviving brothers were jailed and later became solid citizens. we used to rehabilitate em. jails were worse places to live back then. no lying around and watching tv.

·
Registered
192 Posts
no, there is about a gazillion acres in ft riley comes up in perfect rows every year. no good for recreating though. it was grown there during w w 2 for rope hemp for the navy. oh yea plenty of home grown first class product here. no need to go to colorado. sheriff dept really does not care about maijuana. the bad guys out stealing and breaking in are into meth and harder drugs. welington is about 75 miles west of here. yep three of the dalton gang still reside on the southern most cemetary in town. probably wasn't a really good idea to rob both banks when there was a hardware store right across the street well stocked with guns and ammo. pissed off the locals when ya try and abscond with their money. the surviving brothers were jailed and later became solid citizens. we used to rehabilitate em. jails were worse places to live back then. no lying around and watching tv.
Interesting info! Our area has a burgeoning hemp industry here as well, also MJ businesses and greenhouses. The Dalton gang...yep the town took care if itself. The book I was referring to gave me nightmares as teen. The Clutter family. Shocked the nation. It wouldn't now. My late father told me that the King County jail in Seattle held one of the murderers for another crime prior to their killing spree in the Clutter home. Maybe that's where they got the story of the safe which ended up being a tale? I'd have to research that one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts