Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
old scoot coot
4,108 Posts
only 21k, i'd bet it wouldn't take that much to fire it up! has it been in a garage? the tank will need a cleaning, and carburetor, and a new battery etc. hell of a deal, bought a house and harley came with. a vintage evo to boot. hell yea i'll be over to take a look. shaking your hand will probably bring me good luck! just pm me address and phone.

·
old scoot coot
4,108 Posts
Interesting info! Our area has a burgeoning hemp industry here as well, also MJ businesses and greenhouses. The Dalton gang...yep the town took care if itself. The book I was referring to gave me nightmares as teen. The Clutter family. Shocked the nation. It wouldn't now. My late father told me that the King County jail in Seattle held one of the murderers for another crime prior to their killing spree in the Clutter home. Maybe that's where they got the story of the safe which ended up being a tale? I'd have to research that one.
i remember the movie. after it came people began to lock their houses. honest truth, the folks went to see the movie at the drive in and after mom started to pester dad to lock the house at night. dad had to install new lock sets on ft and rr doors. we didn.t even have the keys anymore. it was a new house in '47 dad bought after the war. i suppose the keys had been discarded because until that movie no one ever locked their house. robert blake nailed the part in the movie. hell he got away with killing his wife many years later, real life. that guy was a "little rascal" indeed. he could tell a story and stick too it. i'm pretty sure you are right about the safe. it was depicted that way in the book. capote had so much detailed info from prison interviews i'm pretty sure that was the case. it was maybe ten or fifteen years later than that everyone started locking their cars. in high school i worked in a gas station 3:30 to 9:00 pm on school days and closed at 9:00 pm saturdays and sundays. three years, after closing, i would throw the money sack under the bucket seat in my 61 corvair coupe and drive it home, park it in the street in front of the house with windows down and doors unlocked and key in switch, then drop it off at station on the way to school. never had a problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i remember the movie. after it came people began to lock their houses. honest truth, the folks went to see the movie at the drive in and after mom started to pester dad to lock the house at night. dad had to install new lock sets on ft and rr doors. we didn.t even have the keys anymore. it was a new house in '47 dad bought after the war. i suppose the keys had been discarded because until that movie no one ever locked their house. robert blake nailed the part in the movie. hell he got away with killing his wife many years later, real life. that guy was a "little rascal" indeed. he could tell a story and stick too it. i'm pretty sure you are right about the safe. it was depicted that way in the book. capote had so much detailed info from prison interviews i'm pretty sure that was the case. it was maybe ten or fifteen years later than that everyone started locking their cars. in high school i worked in a gas station 3:30 to 9:00 pm on school days and closed at 9:00 pm saturdays and sundays. three years, after closing, i would throw the money sack under the bucket seat in my 61 corvair coupe and drive it home, park it in the street in front of the house with windows down and doors unlocked and key in switch, then drop it off at station on the way to school. never had a problem.
Well how about that. Like you, I was a pump jockey, tow truck driver, and later a semi-skilled mechanic at a Texaco station during high school. Bought my own car and motorcycle with my earnings. From dad: "You want it, you work for it." An easy lesson every youth needs to be taught. I look back at my old job, and realize I learned so much more than the hands on. People skills. Although I did manage to knock my two front teeth out when an exhaust manifold I was working on fell on my face while up on the rack. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got a question about compensators. The compensator on my 2010 Ultra is shot... I looked at Baker and BDL. The cost between the two are very wide.. The Baker is about $500 and from what I read- the rotor has to be replaced for this to fit. The BDL is about $230 but it uses 2 Nylatron (nylon) washers which I am not sure about. Anyone had any issues with either?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am new to the forum as well. I have been wrenching for a while but its always good to talk to others in the HD world. I just joined the forum today- from NY... I have a 2010 FLHTCU and a 94 FLSTF-- will send pics...
Welcome Jarhead! (from an old devil doc). :)

·
old scoot coot
4,108 Posts
Got a question about compensators. The compensator on my 2010 Ultra is shot... I looked at Baker and BDL. The cost between the two are very wide.. The Baker is about $500 and from what I read- the rotor has to be replaced for this to fit. The BDL is about $230 but it uses 2 Nylatron (nylon) washers which I am not sure about. Anyone had any issues with either?
the compensator on my 2010 failed at 50,000 miles. i just put a stock one back on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts