Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread noted the potential experience of riding with one's own children... with them on their own bike. Had an opportunity to do that this past summer. One will routinely ride behind me on their Honda which is tremendous (I set the pace!), but this time we took a trip to rent bikes and had my two oldest following. Now this is double tremendous.

We threw a Honda Superhawk in the back of a truck, drove 300 miles to the western slope of Colorado and rented two big twins.

Wasn't sure if my 22yr. old could handle a Road King (Grand Junction H-D only rented large bikes), but he completed the parking lot test just fine as a nervous father looked on :)). He's always adored H-D's and he simply couldn't believe he was going to be riding one all day.

I've always heard great things about the Road Glide, so that was what I reserved for me :).

The plan was to ride the great and long Dolores Canyon south of Grand Junction (Find 141 on a map), go over to Telluride, ascend the Dallas Divide on the way to Ridgway, then go north to return the bikes before the dealership closed. A nice 311 mile big circle.

Didn't video record the ride but did make a short clip from the digital camera as we dissed each other at the Hanging Flume :)...

http://www.farson.com/video/flume.wmv

Pausing in Dolores Canyon. Could park the Road Glide like this for there was no traffic...

Stopping for fuel and snacks in Gateway at The Outpost. The Pallisades loom above. The bikes are in a motorcycle only parking area. Note the sidestand plates on the asphalt. Try to ride this ride someday and pause or spend the night here...

Stopping in Telluride...

Pausing at the Dallas Divide with Mt. Sneffels in the distance. The three of us climbed Sneffels once and it was good to pay homage to this very beautiful 14,150ft. mountain...

Truly a memorable day. Think we will always talk about it. Looking forward to more over the years. Will remember going around somewhat tighter curves in the canyon and scanning the mirrors to see if they come around the bend still following. They always did. Whew. It's an amazing thing to consider how little they once were and now how they are no longer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great ride, especially with the offspring. I always envy you for the beautiful roads and views! Wish I could affrd to birng my ride over...

·
Registered
679 Posts
How cool is that!!! Thanks so much for sharing Steve!!!!!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
VERY nice... Now I know how my Mom felt when we'd meet "halfway" in PA and ride back to her place together.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Steve,
You are a Lucky Man! My son is the reason that I started riding again after several years without a bike. And now after almost 3 years of riding with him, It just does not seem right without him in the rear View mirror!!! And now I have another child behind me, My youngest Daughter just loves to ride with us, And she will get her permit this spring.
I am looking forward to many family rides in the future! Now, If only I could get my oldest Daughter on 2 wheels!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steve,

That is awsome. I've worn out the atlas over the last year or two, as I dream of rides out in the great Southwest. Would love to base out of my folks in Santa Fe, and head out for 3 to 5 days in several different directions, one of them being that way.

Noticed CO 141 on the atlas, and saw it looked a little "crooked". Hmm. And not far from Moab, and the great scenery.

Then I found a ride report somewhere online with some pics, and wow! This road is now on my someday list. It looks like one of the "ones less travelled". Your pictures confirm it.

Excellent to be able to share this experience with your boys, I'm sure. They grow up/change mighty quick.

BTW, how did that RG work out for you?

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug,

You know, dreaming about a two wheeled ride or adventure is part of the enjoyment in my book. I keep a road atlas along with sundry maps next to the porcelein throne so multi-tasking happens. :D

My name is Steve.... and I am a map junkie!

For sure, between Santa Fe and the Dolores Canyon is some of the finest riding in the country, bar none. Two of the memorable roads...

The San Juan Skyway -- Hwy 550 North out of Durango

The Silver Thread Scenic Byway - 149 NW From South Fork/160

For some, the San Juan Skyway, or Million Dollar Highway as it is also known, is THE ride in the U.S. Editor of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine put it down as the best, and this person has ridden the world.

The RG was great. Can confirm the rave p-o-v from riders who ride about this bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Awesome man. My son is only 9 but he has a year and a half on a CRF-70F already and he loves bikes. I can't wait until the day... I'm sure it will come sooner than I think.

The other day he asked me if we could trade his Honda in on a mini-Harley so we could ride together (his mom won't let him go far on the back of mine).

·
Registered
129 Posts
She's not okay with it at all actually. She'll let me run him down the road and back and I'm sure she holds her breath the entire time. She's loosened up about riding with me though so maybe she'll loosen up about him as well over time. Even still, I wouldn't take him very far, very fast. Not until he's a little older.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Thanks for bringing this thread up. I had not seen it. It is especially wonderful to see a Dad and his sons off on the road together.
Thanks again Steve!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts