Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the break in the weather, I'm finally getting some decent seat time. There were literally dozens of groups out riding today. Big groups too, 10 or more bikes. It dawned in me, 99.9% of my riding is alone. I've never been in a club of any kind, very few of my friends ride and those that do live far away or have different schedules.

For me, riding has always been a solitary affair, a way to relax, my mental floss. It's never really been a means of transportation, no real practical applications. Just my chill time.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
My sentiments exactly--chill time! I have a neighbor I enjoy riding with; however, he works and I'm retired so we make some local bike night gatherings together on weeknights but most of my riding is solo. And very pleasant I might add.

My most enjoyable rides are usually after dinner when traffic has died down and the heat of the sun is more angled and not so bad. I can be in the more rural adjoining county in less than 15 minutes and enjoy myself to the fullest extent but try to be home before all the deer decide they need to be on the other side of the road.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
I agree also . . . no practical use/mental floss both accurate for my situation.

But, I will say that when I go out with others, it is also a very good time - even just with one other bike. Get some wings, have some laughs . . . even chatting at a light or a stop sign is enjoyable.

Pros and cons with solo vs groups. You certainly get more respect from the cagers when there is more than one of you! At the end of the day I am not staying home - riding alone? NO problem . . . and going alone allows you to check out things you wouldn't have otherwise done - practice - vist personal friends do personal business, etc.

It's all good! I think I'm more about WHEN and not about with WHO?

:bike-038:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I prefer to ride by myself. I have a couple of trusted friends I like to ride with. I will ride with a small group of people if I know some riding history of them. I will not ride with a large group or people I don't know.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
My best friend of 50 years is my only real riding partner, and we can't always get together. So most of my riding is solo, unless the War Dept. jumps on the back. But I'll ride any way I can, solo, group or with the OL; it's always great for clearing the head.

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
I'm mostly a solo rider, but enjoy riding with my brother in law and a small group from church.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to riding and didn't want to ride with others until I felt comfortable by myself. But...I now feel really comfortable on the bike and I like the I'm out here by myself. I work an odd schedule in a high stress industry and ride time is "my" time. I may eventually do some group rides but for the time being I'm staying solo.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have been an MANY group rides (From 5 to 1k in size). I have lead groups along with just being part of the pack. I have planned big rides and just participated. There are times where I really enjoy riding in groups BUT, I have ridden in so many so far this riding season that I am already burned out on them.

Yes riding solo is awesome but riding in a group is gun sometimes as well.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I myself get lost when I ride solo I just forget where im at what im doing and just cruze baby
Im just starting to get with a group of riders club mostly old farts trying to make a few new buds but I like riding solo clears my head and I like riding with the ol lady too we both just get lost kinda cool that way. go where I want do what I want when I want ect. some days just putting around 40 50 mph some times slower some times faster.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Groups or solo all good!!

Solo riding has a metal effect on me that's hard to explain!

I guess the metal floss is a good way of explaining it.

I make a pilgrimage to a few places every year by myself, while back added home town to the list after being away from there for a long time.

I have rode through some old backway two lane nearly forgotten highways and had feelings of nostalgia?? and just glad I'm from and live in the good ole U.S.A !!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
My best friend of 50 years is my only real riding partner, and we can't always get together. So most of my riding is solo, unless the War Dept. jumps on the back. But I'll ride any way I can, solo, group or with the OL; it's always great for clearing the head.
My wife does not like motorcycles so I have no problems with the war Dept :spar

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
As I tell a friend of mine when he asks how I can stand to ride so much and so far alone. He says he hates riding alone, and he rarely rides. I told him, "you have to have riding in your heart and your mind will follow." I say the same for fishing. I've been fishing and riding cycles alone since I was 8, I guess that's the life of an only child, I don't know. When you have something in your heart you love, you don't wait for someone to share it with, you do it, otherwise you'll miss out on a lot and life's too short.

And on that note, I'm outta here. Got a 30 mile ride home, alone. I just realized I always seem to find jobs far from home... now I know why.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Have few friends we have been hangin" out since kids riding bicycles and our rides are good.

I still like riding alone, if I come to a t intersection I just go whatever way I want.

If I have everything with me I need a Friday evening afterwork ride can lead to a long week-end ride...whatever way the wind takes me...no agenda...my favorite kind of ride!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts