Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a student teacher this semester and he's a Harley guy. We've become friends (he's in his early 40s - career change) and he has 2 bikes - a Fat Boy & a Sportster. Naturally we had a lot of Harley talk this spring and he offered for me to basically let me keep his Sporty for the summer so I can practice my riding. All he asked was 2 things:

1. Buy a new battery for the Sportster (he said it'd be about $130)
2. Don't sue him should something happen - :thumbsup

It's gonna be an awesome summer!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That brings up a good question, I take that class the last week of May. Is there an online reference I can use to get a jump start on the book part of the class? I'm in IL.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
You Il guys do know you can get a learner's permit to ride legal. Got mine at the DMV, it allows you to ride with an experienced rider only, no solo. Once you pass the MSF class, take your paperwork in, you won't have to pay for a new license.. that was 6 years ago, I don't think they've changed it.. just so ya know.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
You Il guys do know you can get a learner's permit to ride legal. Got mine at the DMV, it allows you to ride with an experienced rider only, no solo. Once you pass the MSF class, take your paperwork in, you won't have to pay for a new license.. that was 6 years ago, I don't think they've changed it.. just so ya know.
Same here in NY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here in Pa a learners permit allows you to ride solo until dark, but does not allow you to ride after dark, or 2 up. Of course I followed that rule to a T until I took my MSF...lol

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I guess my state of KY is pretty easy. Take an eye test, and a silly little multiple choice test on a computer. Pass both and they issue you a permit good for 3 years and the ONLY restriction is that you and any passenger must wear a helmet until you take the road test and get the "M" designation on your driver's license.

·
Registered
482 Posts
lucky....:drool :bikerguy:

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
You should be able to download the material on the internet. Make sure you take the course before you head out on the road. It's worth the wait.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ya, here in Cali you can ride solo with a permit, no double up riding and no night time riding.....
Missouri has those same rules and you are supposed to stay within 50 miles of your home. But when I got my permit the Highway Patrol Officer told me that because of my age at the time those rules did not apply to me and that my permit had no restirctions. So basically my permit was an endorsement just expired in 6 months.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Missouri has those same rules and you are supposed to stay within 50 miles of your home. But when I got my permit the Highway Patrol Officer told me that because of my age at the time those rules did not apply to me and that my permit had no restirctions. So basically my permit was an endorsement just expired in 6 months.
I am in MO also. Buddy of mine is 45. He has his permit right now. He was told the "no night time", "no two-up" and "50 mile radius" do apply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am in MO also. Buddy of mine is 45. He has his permit right now. He was told the "no night time", "no two-up" and "50 mile radius" do apply.
That is interesting well then I am glad I never got pulled over before I got my endorsement then.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to your suggestion & Rdsaal's posting, the State of Illinois now authorizes me to operate a motorcycle on probationary status (I got my permit). I went in expecting to pay a small fee and be on my way. Nope, not so fast. I didn't know there was a 15-question quiz I needed to pass. I had read the motorcycle guide Rd posted on the thread a few days ago & used my memory of that and common sense to earn 12 out of 15 on the quiz (that noise you now hear is me patting myself on the back).

Next stop, MSF course next month.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
Thanks to your suggestion & Rdsaal's posting, the State of Illinois now authorizes me to operate a motorcycle on probationary status (I got my permit). I went in expecting to pay a small fee and be on my way. Nope, not so fast. I didn't know there was a 15-question quiz I needed to pass. I had read the motorcycle guide Rd posted on the thread a few days ago & used my memory of that and common sense to earn 12 out of 15 on the quiz (that noise you now hear is me patting myself on the back).

Next stop, MSF course next month.

I hope the 20% of the questions you got wrong don't include anything that could kill you.

Glad you are taking the course, man. Don't die in the meantime.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts