Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a week ago about this bike. I didn't get to go look at it yet because of weather. I did talk to seller and found out some more information.
It is EVO motor, chain drive, and 4 speed tranny. The motor has about 4000mi on new rebuild so the motor should be good. He is asking 5000
for it. He said he had 6000 in the rebuild bored out and all new internals.
Does this sound about right or would the chain drive and 4 speed be a deal breaker for you?

Thanks for advice since I have never owned a Harley before.

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If it's actually in good shape and what I was lookin for, hell, I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Sounds a little over priced to me but if it's in good shape, if you can get him down to 4 grand 4500 would be my max. Then if it's what your looking for buy it. Good luck

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It would depend on whether you are specifically looking for a vintage Harley or not. That hike is nearly 30 years old. $6,000 should be able to get a Harley built in this century. Not saying that the FLH wouldn't be cool to own, but it needs to be specifically what you are looking for.

--

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
I'm thinking they listed the wrong year or model. I had a new '84 FLH and it was a 4spd Shovel.
Also from memory all EVOs came with 5spd trans.

·
Registered
39,474 Posts
I'm thinking they listed the wrong year or model. I had a new '84 FLH and it was a 4spd Shovel.
Also from memory all EVOs came with 5spd trans.
'84 was one of those bastard years where the moco phased out old parts and started implementing the changes that would become standard with the EVOs.

The '84 Wide Glide was one, for example, that had an EVO motor and a 4 speed transmission.

The '82-'83 FXR was just the opposite.... Shovel motor and a 5 speed transmission.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
I was just reading at WIKI. Except for the base FLH in 1984 Shovel / 4spd all others were EVO / 5spd.
Lots of changes between '82 - '85.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not sure, but the only factory evo/4 speed combo was 85-86 fxwg, fxsb, and fxs. 84 was shovel 4 speed, and 5 speeds came with shovels and evos. I think the 84 softtail was evo 4 speed as well, but not to sure of any other years.

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
Oh well, if it's a Evo, I would pass. For $6000 you should be able to find either a really nice shovel, or a much newer bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts