Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing an ultra classic or electra glide but have heard that the 96 cu. in. motors were giving some problems!?!? Can anyone that has one tell me what your experience has been? Thanks

·
Banned
18,203 Posts
hawkmann....... I have noticed several people around here with newer (03 and up) bikes having problems with the shift linkage. either pivot points breaking, splines on shift lever itself stripping, etc......
did Harley just start outsourcing the manufacturing of these components to a substandard factory full of 11 year old Indonesian girls?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Been riding the "96" motor for almost 3 years and no mechanical problems. They do run a little hotter but that is easily fixed.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
i know i`de rather have a `00-04 with a 95" kit and an overdive 6 speed,new 96"ers are slugs and the jims trans`s suck
kirby
vee twin racing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoken like a true non owner of an 09 model..I have had 3 of the 88's and now this 09 RoadGlide with 21,000 mi and there is nothing wrong with the 96 motor or the tranny..In fact it seems like Harley finally got the bike set up the way it should have been all along... This bike has got it all over the previous models..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '07 Street Glide, 8,000 miles on it. My only complaint is the stock breather and pipes don't move enough air in and out for the engine to breathe properly. Due of course to emissions control regulations set out by our governments. the problem is easily remedied with a set of aftermarket pipes, and a new breather. Throw on a Vance and Hines fuel pack, or a power commander to really set it off. I have also noticed that I can't feel the excess heat coming off the engine at highway speeds, the key is to KEEP 'ER MOVIN'!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 07 Road Glide seems to generate more heat from the rear head than my 88 inch Heritage, but I love the power, and the mileage is great with the 6 speed. 26000 miles and going strong...hope this helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am looking at purchasing an ultra classic or electra glide but have heard that the 96 cu. in. motors were giving some problems!?!? Can anyone that has one tell me what your experience has been? Thanks
I have almost 30k on an 07...only mechanical problem I have had was with the fork lock...wouldnt lock ..repaired under warranty....like several mentioned,there are ways to cool them off...:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
i know i`de rather have a `00-04 with a 95" kit and an overdive 6 speed,new 96"ers are slugs and the jims trans`s suck
kirby
vee twin racing
Its unfair to call them slugs when you're comparing them to modified 88.

Much of their um..lackluster output is caused by government regulations, not by poor design. It can be fixed very easily with a breather and pipes.

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
My '09 E-Glide will be a year old on 10/18 and I've not had any problems with the 96" engine at all. Had a problem with the fuel gauge and a weld came loose on one of the exhaust pipe brackets, both fixed under warranty but no other problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
kirby
vee twin racing
Lots of people complained about 5th making noise...I ride mine in 5th more than 6th most days and cant tell any diff in sound whatsoever...:popcorn

·
09 Ultra Classic
120 Posts
My 09 Ultra is performing like a champ. I've put 3,700 miles on it in the 4 summer months and have no problems. Harleys are unique in many ways, heat is not unique to Harleys. I ride with guys on Yamahas and Kawasakis of similar size to my Harley and they complain about the heat from those too. Harley makes good machines nowadays and can compare to any metric, IMHO. I'll take my Harley anyday!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts