Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
tibadoe, you mentioned the engine heat problem is easily fixed. Being new to the forum and HD's in general, what do you suggest to help with this issue? Appreciate your reply. I have recently traded in for an 07 Ultra w/96ci.

SailorDoc

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
tibadoe, you mentioned the engine heat problem is easily fixed. Being new to the forum and HD's in general, what do you suggest to help with this issue? Appreciate your reply. I have recently traded in for an 07 Ultra w/96ci.

SailorDoc
There are a few things you can do to bring help cool down your 96. A oil cooler, synthetic oils, tuner (stage I), and duals. One by itself dosen't help much but together in combination they work pretty good. I did all the above on my 07 and will do the same on my 09 - worked great. If money is tight at least start with the oil cooler and syn oils. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
5000 miles on mine this summer and NO issues. 5th gear was loud at first but once broken in it is quiet....In fact it doesnt even whine at all anymore.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Heat coming off the engine is not just with 96ci I put heat shields on my FLHTCI on the frame up front on seat it helps in traffic like when you are sitting on main street in Sturgis

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Lots of people complained about 5th making noise...I ride mine in 5th more than 6th most days and cant tell any diff in sound whatsoever...:popcorn
I just bought a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. I've only put about 550 miles on it so far, but I was surprised not to hear any whine in 5th gear, especially reading so much about it.

Pete

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I changed the transmission oil in my XL883 from 20-50 synthetic to Spectro. It was a bit tough to find neutral before, now I can hit neutral the first time, every time. The transmission shifts a bit better too.

My FXD is going to be ready for its 1k service soon. I'm going to put Spectro fully synthetic oil in it. My transmission is very quiet, no whine in 5th gear. Other riders who have had issues with 5th gear whine have said that Spectro really quiets the transmission down.

Pete

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just turned over 8500 miles on my 09 Road King...she is bone stock...I've had no issues. At first with Syn 3, I noticed a slight whine in fifth gear (due to the straight cut gears), but after changing over to Formula+, the whine is virtually gone. Either that or I've just gotten used to it. The engine is powerful and runs like a top. My previous bike was a 113 ci yamaha and the 96 HD has just as much power and, if nothing else, feels like it's got more torque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
96 cu in engines

I've got 17,000 on my 09 Ultra. The only trouble I've had is the tire cupping and my compensator. The MOCO fixed the tire but they're not admitting to the compensator. Before I went to the Big Bore and SE 255 cams the compensator just let out a big bang and started. Since the Big Bore was installed it tries to kick back and lets out one hell of a loud noise like something stripping out. Two dealers and MOCO says it's the way of the 96. I don't believe any engine should sound like that but that's the party line. I'm ordering a heavy duty SE compensator forgetting about it.....I'm just disappointed in their attitude.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The '09 trannys got a helical cut 5th gear so there should be reduced noise. The devious years had straight cut gears. Gear noise is typical with straight cut gears. It is not indicative of a problem.

·
" BAGGERS RULE "
200 Posts
The '09 trannys got a helical cut 5th gear so there should be reduced noise. The devious years had straight cut gears. Gear noise is typical with straight cut gears. It is not indicative of a problem.
I believe you meant the 2010 models got the Helical Cut 5th gear as the 2009's have the Straight Cut 5th Gear as I have in my 09 Ultra.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I read a review of the 09 Dyna and the author said that every gear, except 1st gear, is helical cut. My 09 FXD is quiet in every gear. Or maybe my new exhaust is loud enough that I can't hear the whine.

Pete

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts
I've got 17,000 on my 09 Ultra. The only trouble I've had is the tire cupping and my compensator. The MOCO fixed the tire but they're not admitting to the compensator. Before I went to the Big Bore and SE 255 cams the compensator just let out a big bang and started. Since the Big Bore was installed it tries to kick back and lets out one hell of a loud noise like something stripping out. Two dealers and MOCO says it's the way of the 96. I don't believe any engine should sound like that but that's the party line. I'm ordering a heavy duty SE compensator forgetting about it.....I'm just disappointed in their attitude.
You are going to be happy, it's like riding a different bike

Al

21 - 40 of 55 Posts