Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deposit on a Ember Red Sunglo, 2013 Harley Ultra Classic with 5,000 miles. It has a security system but no ABS brakes. I have the option to purchase a Vivid Black, 2013 ultra classic with 5,000 miles, security and ABS for an additional $300. I am not familiar with ABS brakes on a motorcycle and therefore, I ask, is ABS worth the added cost. I do know that it is expensive to repair ABS on a car, has anybody had any issues with ABS brakes on their Harley's.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I say $300.00 is worth having ABS, never know when it will come in handy.
never heard of anyone having issues with the HD ABS.
Problem I see is if you get the ABS bike you have to settle for black.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
It takes a bit to get used to it the first couple of times it actually engages, but it does work very well.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That's a tough one for me. I really like ABS. The 2011 I bought this fall has it. But my heart would tell me to buy the sunglo bike. I love that paint.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
I won't have another touring bike without ABS. My vote is the Vivid Black- from what I hear it is the fastest color ;)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A little over 30k miles with ABS. It only activated a few times, only on the rear and usually when emergency braking hard on uneven pavement. It might have saved my bacon. Seamless and worked as advertised. No maintenance issues. I believe like MisterB and Devo that I would want ABS on any future bikes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a tough choice. I think black is the perfect color for motorcycles but I'm biased since mine is vivid black. I don't have ABS but think it's a good idea to give you an edge in a bad situation which is going to happen sooner or later. I tend to think the less your riding experience and the poorer the weather conditions are that you may ride in then the more important ABS becomes.

Over the past few years I've read posts from a few people who claim to have experienced total ABS failure in their bikes where the brakes have failed completely.....but I think it is a very rare occurrence.

VR

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
I won't have another touring bike without ABS. My vote is the Vivid Black- from what I hear it is the fastest color ;)
I disagree. White is obviously faster. :bike-038:

I was apprehensive about my first ABS bike. It took about a year, but I had a "HOLY SH!T" moment on a highway off ramp - read about it here ---> http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/touring-general-discussions/45924-abs-works-cagers-suck.html

The ABS absolutely helped me steer around a problem and continue on my way.

I won't not have it again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I figured if I ever was in a situation where ABS would save me, it would be worth the extra money. I'd hate to be in a situation where I'm thinking - "damn, I wish I could've spent the extra money....shi&!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your feedback regarding ABS brakes, due to all the positive responses, I did purchase the Vivid Black Ultra with the ABS. It took over a hour to make the decision with both bikes sitting there in the showroom. I must have sat on each bike 10 times, could not ride them with all the snow and ice.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback regarding ABS brakes, due to all the positive responses, I did purchase the Vivid Black Ultra with the ABS. It took over a hour to make the decision with both bikes sitting there in the showroom. I must have sat on each bike 10 times, could not ride them with all the snow and ice.

You're new here, so we'll let it slide this time, but seriously pics or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pic will follow shortly, I have not taken possession of the bike yet. It is 60 miles away and we are in the middle of winter. I am making arrangements with CAA to deliver the bike, hopefully on Feb. 12th.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I were in the market I would get ABS. It works great on a bike and you only need it once to make it worth having.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
My RK is my only experience with ABS. I took a few times to get comfortable with it, but I'm good with it now.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
I just traded in an 09 road king for a 13 ultra. One if the primary reasons for the trade was ABS. Had two rear lick ups one going 65 middle lane if a highway (cut off by a woman). Was about to low side and released the brake. Got lucky, wan led but recovered. I prefer ABS, does not stop you faster but allows for a controlled stop

1 - 20 of 27 Posts