Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 Street Glide. The other day I was riding home from work, following a coworker in his pickup. There was a cat that ran across the road in front of his pickup and he hit his brakes for a split second. I grabbed mine as well and as soon as I did this my front wheel locked up turned clear to the left and I laid the bike down. I am alright but the left side of the bike doesn't look so good. I did right it home though.

My question is have you ever heard of the ABS failing or the front wheel just completely locking up? It seems to me that the fluid did not return like it is supposed to.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,312 Posts
Regaurdless, ABS is supposed to prevent wheel lock-up. HD's antilock works separately/independatly (front/rear) so unless there was something on the road causing the wheel to slide out, I'd suspect an issue. Of course, trying to prove it is another thing.....

·
"Ain't quite right"™
2008 VRSCDX 2019 FXDR
11,272 Posts
Glad you're well, I dunno about bikes, but the ABS on my truck won't prevent a lock-up if I stomp on the brakes...if that helps at all..

And my ABS fail at attracting the ladies when I'm at the pool...couldn't resist that one...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you ever done any work to your brakes involving bleeding? If so, the ABS motor has to be reset by computer. If not, they function like regular brakes. But then again, your ABS light should be on.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have an '08 Street Glide. The other day I was riding home from work, following a coworker in his pickup. There was a cat that ran across the road in front of his pickup and he hit his brakes for a split second. I grabbed mine as well and as soon as I did this my front wheel locked up turned clear to the left and I laid the bike down. I am alright but the left side of the bike doesn't look so good. I did right it home though.

My question is have you ever heard of the ABS failing or the front wheel just completely locking up? It seems to me that the fluid did not return like it is supposed to.
With or without ABS, the front wheel should have stayed straight. The ABS system should have prevented the front wheel from locking up. It seems that ABS on motorcycles is an evolving technology. It might be worth having the dealership take a look at it.

·
Retired citizen
25,424 Posts
Harley's ABS is tied into the ECM , if the ABS malfunctioned a code would have been set in the ECM and can be retrieved with the dealer's Digital Tech computer . Have the dealer check for codes and document everything . If the ABS failed the MoCo would be responsible for the repairs on your bike .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. The insurance adjuster is coming tonight and then I am taking it straight to the dealership to get an estimate form them and see if there are any codes on the ECM.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not meaning to be a smart ass - but you're sure the bike has ABS?

·
Registered
300 Posts
One of the reasons I think ABS on a bike is a bad idea. When they work, great. When they have a problem, they are dangerous.
ABS is no good in turns. So, it is good for panic stopping when going straight only and that is if they don't have a failure as described.
I personally know of two people with HD ABS and both had warranty problems as soon as they get their new bikes home.
I'll just stay with my simple brakes on my '04. This is only just one of the reasons I won't move to a newer Harley.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
...........My question is have you ever heard of the ABS failing or the front wheel just completely locking up?.......
If it is made by man it can fail. Have it checked out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
At 65 years old, I grew up without ABS and I don't like it. As you have discovered, when one becomes dependent on ABS doing the finessing of max braking, it leads to "digital" hand behavior, yank on the handle and let the computer sort things out. When the system fails, you are much more prone to crash. Having the muscle training to max brake yourself eliminates the reliance on the magic electrons. Alas, it seems the Nannies in DC are eventually going to require ABS on everything, at least I can find the fuse and pull it. You paid for it, it should work, good luck with the MOCO.

·
Registered
300 Posts
At 65 years old, I grew up without ABS and I don't like it. As you have discovered, when one becomes dependent on ABS doing the finessing of max braking, it leads to "digital" hand behavior, yank on the handle and let the computer sort things out. When the system fails, you are much more prone to crash. Having the muscle training to max brake yourself eliminates the reliance on the magic electrons. Alas, it seems the Nannies in DC are eventually going to require ABS on everything, at least I can find the fuse and pull it. You paid for it, it should work, good luck with the MOCO.

Well said.

·
Registered
623 Posts
To each their own...It has been proven in tests by pretty much every bike mag out there, that ABS will allow you stop in a shorter - safer (no wheel lock up) distance in ALMOST every circumstance. The only exception I recall reading about is on a clean, dry, flat surface will stopping distances be very marginally shorter and only then by an EXPERT rider, and the shorter distance is only by inches those instances. For the average rider (a very high percentage of the Harley riders I would guess) there is no question ABS is the safer way to go. As far as failures I've heard of very few, I have had no failures on several bikes (diff brands) with ABS that I have owned and have heard of no failures period (didn't say there hasn't been any - rather I haven't heard of any), and even then you still have the brakes operating in the 'normal' mode. As for the issue that you come to rely on them in EMERGENCY" situations? I find that difficult to believe. There is a reason that even all the litre bikes (and in Moto GP - and these guys are the experts) are going to ABS.

Don't know what happened in the original post that started this discussion. Again I ask, are you sure the bike has ABS? Did you experience the ABS working properly before this instance? Is there a wire coming from the front axle indicating the bike is equipped with ABS?

·
Registered
626 Posts
One of the reasons I think ABS on a bike is a bad idea. When they work, great. When they have a problem, they are dangerous.
ABS is no good in turns. So, it is good for panic stopping when going straight only and that is if they don't have a failure as described.
I personally know of two people with HD ABS and both had warranty problems as soon as they get their new bikes home.
I'll just stay with my simple brakes on my '04. This is only just one of the reasons I won't move to a newer Harley.
Why would you move to a New Harley as long as the older one is working just fine. The new ones do have a few advantages but they're all good. I don't have ABS on my 09 Harley but with the big wheel on the back it grabs the pavement pretty good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mike,
Yes, to each their own, but you made on mistake. ABS is not safe in almost every circumstance. If ABS kicks in when riding a curve, the rider is screwed.
ABS doesn't 'kick in' or activate until the sensors sense impending wheel lock up. If your in a curve and you are grabbing the brakes hard enough to lock up the wheel(s) I would say you are pretty much 'screwed' no matter what. Although I don't recall reading anything about ABS in a curve situation - I don't see how you would be anymore screwed with ABS than without if you are grabbing the brakes hard enough to lock up a wheel in a curve.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The friction of the tire and road surface in a curve is not the same as in a straight line and the ABS will kick in thinking the tire is slipping. It is a well documented fact that ABS can be a problem if you grab the brakes hard in a curve. You actually have to be more careful braking in a curve with ABS than with non-ABS.
Again, I agree with you about to each their own. Me, I am sticking with my TC88 with 5 speed and non ABS because I don't see the TC96 as a better engine nor do I see the need for 6 speeds or ABS. I am not against improving things, but I am also a big supporter of keeping things simple.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The friction of the tire and road surface in a curve is not the same as in a straight line and the ABS will kick in thinking the tire is slipping. It is a well documented fact that ABS can be a problem if you grab the brakes hard in a curve. You actually have to be more careful braking in a curve with ABS than with non-ABS.
Again, I agree with you about to each their own. Me, I am sticking with my TC88 with 5 speed and non ABS because I don't see the TC96 as a better engine nor do I see the need for 6 speeds or ABS. I am not against improving things, but I am also a big supporter of keeping things simple.
I would like to see where you are getting your info from. I did a google search (ABS motorcycle brakes in a curve)and I could find no info or data to support your 'well documented' hypothesis that ABS in turns is disasterous. However, there are thousands of articles on the advantages of ABS and how they out preform conventional brakes - IN ALL SITUATIONS. From my own experiece, I've used my brakes (ABS) pretty aggressively plenty of times in corners to scrub off speed, but rarely hard enough to activate the ABS(although I have activated ABS at times), and have had no problems. So again, I would like to see where your info is coming from. Regards -

1 - 20 of 78 Posts