Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 street glide and i want to install some accent lighting...the LED motor light style. I want to wire them into the acc switch but i am un sure how to gain access to the switch. Do i remove the fairing? Or do i just remove the key switch and access it that way. Any help would be great. Looking to start this in a few hours....

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
Just my two cents but, I would wire it direct to the battery. That's what I did. The kit I have comes with it's own switch. They draw so little juice. You can have the lights on with the bike off. Otherwise, you have to have the bike running to have power to the ACC switch to power your LEDs.

If you still want to go with the ACC switch, the wires powered by it is under the seat (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not at my home so I can't look it up in my manual. You could call a local H-D dealer and ask the service guys where the wires are. Once you find them, its gravy! I do know you don't have to pull the fairing or the switch cover. The ends of the wires are readily accessible.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
The acc switch has a lead alway back to the under seat area. Thats where you can attach you lights to so you dont hack into the stock harness. But i would suggest running straight off battery as well since im sure you wanna be able to have the lights on when you park the bike outside the bar/grocery store. I had the boigie lights fire works deal on my 10 and had it wired straight to battery and a switch under the seat. Just my opinion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same as above, I found all the wiring and figured " I'll just add the harness from Harley" well once I started measuring there's no voltage unless bike is on
I attached a pic of mine, just added purple ones from Walmart, got a total of 30 bucks invested. The flash went off on my phone so they aren't too bright but in darkness it's cool.
Edit to add that I put the flush rocker switch right in the plate of the frame under the seat, sort of where the rear pipe exits, and offset towards the right side so I just slide my hand under the gap and lighty lighty.

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
22,122 Posts
Locate the wire with the grey connector in front of the battery box. That wire will have a dummy connector plugged into it and will be hanging loose. That wire is hot all the time. There's also an accessory connector in the same area with a dummy plug in it that is only hot with the ignition on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can remove key switch and remove the lower part of the fairing, only 2 screws. The center console is kind of tight, you might want to remove that in case of scratches. Also fairly easy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts