Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in an accident tonight, lots of road rash, sore as hell but all good, worst part was seeing my Harley on the back of a wrecker, do dealerships do repair work? Wrecker said they will take it anywhere tomorrow, live in Fort Worth I want it to go to Adam Smiths Harley, the forks are bent, is it even repairable?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
36,995 Posts
Dealerships do repair work, and they will be able to tell you if it is repairable or a write off.

Glad you are able to ask that question tonight.

·
Principal Member
62 Posts
Any details on the accident we could learn from? Looks like a beautiful bike in your avitar. I'm glad you are ok. Scars rate right up there with tattoos my friend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, a car in front of me hit his brakes, I was following too close panicked locked rear brake into skid went down on right side bike kept going flipped back over to left before hitting rear of truck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
PRO BIKE FLIPPER
1,351 Posts
from our stand point we can repair anything, fork assemblies are not a big deal, but it will ultimatly be up to the ins. co. if its totalled or not. Do your self a favor and dont just go off of the ins. co. have the dealership do a est. as well to make sure all is well. We have run into plenty of situations in which they have old part numbers/prices.

Also remember to goto their motor clothes dept. and have a quote done on a new helmet and any riding gear that might have been damaged, people tend to forget this stuff is covered in a accident as well. hit me up if you have any questions.

glad your still on the forum.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Happy to hear that your still with us! Better the bike being taken away on the wrecker than you.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,015 Posts
Wow. Sorry about the accident, but sure glad you're around to tell us about it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Listen. Do not take your scooter to Adam Smith. I also live in Fort Worth and have done a lot of repair work with them. Take it to Lone Star in Grand Prairie. I will tell you now. That if you take it to Adam Smith you are going to be bringing it back for rework after they are through. Your choice.

Also glad you are ok. If needed you can call me for details 817-471-9050 (cell)

Regards
Glenn Williams

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Like others, I am glad that you are okay.

Yes, dealers do repair work. In fact, my insurance company didn't even do an estimate. They just said take it to whoever I wanted and get and estimate for their review. I took it to a trusted local dealer. The dealer faxed the estimate to my adjuster. He approved it, and I got a check in the mail in a day or two.

A couple of thoughts that you may or may not know:

1. The dealer may charge for the estimate.
Mine was $135.00, 1.5 hours of labor. I know a lot of guys say this is crap, but I get it. It takes a lot of time if it is done correctly. Further, many get the estimate and then use the money differently for the repair. They don't even use the dealer to do the work. That's what I did. So, ask the dealer if they charge for estimates and if that charge applies even if you choose to have the work completed there. They may wave it if you are offering them several thousand dollars of work .

2. The dealership will probably take quite a bit longer than anywhere else.
This is mainly because of the paint. The dealerships, for the most part, don't do paint/body work. The simply remove all of the damaged parts and order new ones. They order new tins from the factory that are already painted to original factory spec. It takes a while. So, you may want to look into other options. It also gives you the opportunity to do some things differently that you may not otherwise be able to.

3. If you can do the re-assembly yourself (or at least part of it), you'll save a TON of money
At least your deductible if not more. It would allow you to spend that on something else for the bike if you want.

A lot of it will depend on whether you owe money on the bike or not. If you do, the insurance company will almost certainly write the claim check co-payable to you and the repair center that is decided on. If that is the case, you are somewhat limited to the deal you can work out with the dealer or whoever you choose for the repair. If you have clear title, the insurance company usually just cuts the check straight to you. You can do whatever you want with the money.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Glad your OK. Sore will go away and the bike will be fixed or totaled. Either way, glad you are able to deal with it.

My recent experience with a dealership and other shops is that I decided since there was a possible alignment issue, I wanted the dealership to make it right. They did.

4-6 weeks for new painted parts should be expected. This is Harley's busy season. Make sure they match your paint all the way around. There may be a painted part or two that does not need replacement, so make sure they take matching or buffing your old parts staying on your bike into account. I chose buffing. It is amazing what a professional buffing can do.

As for the correct shop, references and talking with the actual mechanic is helpful. Most dealerships will not be fixing parts. They will do a total part replacement. The same as a car dealership. Make sure you get your old parts back.

One thing is for sure, you will not come out ahead. Knowing this, make sure they do everything possible to make your bike whole and new looking as possible.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Like others, I am glad that you are okay.

Yes, dealers do repair work. In fact, my insurance company didn't even do an estimate. They just said take it to whoever I wanted and get and estimate for their review. I took it to a trusted local dealer. The dealer faxed the estimate to my adjuster. He approved it, and I got a check in the mail in a day or two.

A couple of thoughts that you may or may not know:

1. The dealer may charge for the estimate.
Mine was $135.00, 1.5 hours of labor. I know a lot of guys say this is crap, but I get it. It takes a lot of time if it is done correctly. Further, many get the estimate and then use the money differently for the repair. They don't even use the dealer to do the work. That's what I did. So, ask the dealer if they charge for estimates and if that charge applies even if you choose to have the work completed there. They may wave it if you are offering them several thousand dollars of work .

2. The dealership will probably take quite a bit longer than anywhere else.
This is mainly because of the paint. The dealerships, for the part, don't do paint/body work. The simply remove all of the damaged parts and order new ones. They order new tins from the factory already painted to original factory spec. It takes a while. So, you may want to look into other options. It also gives you the opportunity to do some things differently that you may not otherwise be able to.

3. If you can do the re-assembly yourself (or at least part of it), you'll save a TON of money
At least your deductible if not more. It would allow you to spend that on something else for the bike if you want.

A lot of it will depend on whether you owe money on the bike or not. If you do, the insurance company will almost certainly write the claim check co-payable to you and the repair center that is decided on. If that is the case, you are somewhat limited to the deal you can work out with the dealer or whoever you choose for the repair. If you have clear title, the insurance company usually just cuts the check straight to you. You can do whatever you want with the money.
This is great advice and information for insurance claims of any kind. A wise man. He has a great bike as well.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I should add, that based on the cost of my much less significant incident and your description of yours, I'd bet a burger and beer that your bike is totaled.

If you have a strong attachment to it, I truly hope that it is not the case.
If not, woo hoo!!!! You're getting a new one!!!!!:bike-038:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts