Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...
I thought I would introduce my self... And I apologize for the long winded intro... I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years... I've owned and ridden most major brands and a few not so major brands. If I had to classify my style, I'd say I've been a Sports-Tourer. Unfortunately I really never expected to reach 60+ years of age and I'm now paying for that philosophy. I'm currently recovering from surgery on my L3-L5 and will have to go back in to have my right shoulder rebuilt. In recent years the one thing that helped me keep my sanity was having a bike sitting in the garage. Even if I couldn't ride it at times! Over the years I have let go of most preconceived attitudes about the different brands... Except for H-D. Whatever the reason may have been, I disliked H-D.

Well here we are early 2015 and I'm mending from the last surgery and I'm already feeling better than I was prior to the injury that required the surgery! So I waddle out to the garage and attempt to throw a leg over my current ride (2008 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS). Too bad I don't have an overhead hoist! After 20 minutes of McGivering I managed to get on the bike. And I'm not comfortable... Again!

Part of my P-T is to get out and walk a lot... So off to the local H-D dealer. All of my most recent rides have had full fairings and I refuse to consider any bike that doesn't have a frame mounted fairing. Tha pretty much limited me to the Road Glide. I advised the sale guy that I had no intent to buy immediately and was just looking to see what options were available to my particular circumstances. Walked over to a R-G and with minimal effort was able to get on the bike! Ryan the propped the bike up and told me to assume my normal riding position. OMG!!! Everything was where it was supposed to be. The stock riding position was nearly perfect with no (and I mean NO) strain to all my injured body parts... My preconceived notions are slowly being chipped away. We then started going through the all the options of the R-G and the Special... Cruise Control... Check! Large infotainment system with GPS... Check! One touch latches. Check! Security system. Check! Hand adjustable rear shocks. Check! And linked ABS!!! Check! Not to mention all the other Rushmore upgrades. There is no arguing about the fit and finish. The Superior Blue really flipped my switch. The dealership was offering 110% of NADA for trade-in and that was the icing on the cake. So, I'm now the owner of a 2015 Road Glide Special. The bike should be delivered later this week and they will pickup the Connie at the same time. I'm targeting mid to late May before I can actually ride the bike other than short trips around the block.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Welcome to the madness. I to bought my first Harley by " mistake". Went in for a oil change at the metric store next door and walked out with a new superglide. Have since upgraded to a streetglide.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Haha. GREAT Intro!!!! Congrats and Welcome!!! Once you get that shark dialed in, there's no stopping you. And I will guarantee you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face!!

·
Registered
39,580 Posts
Hate it when mistakes like that happen! :laugh

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Some things were just meant to be. Congrats on the new bike, hope you are riding soon.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, congrats on the new ride. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

·
Hard Member
3,240 Posts
You are in the right place for your surgery therapy, congrats on the new bike! And welcome from Fredericksburg, Virginia!

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Great intro and big congrats on your new RG.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

Makes you wonder why we have all of these preconceived notions bottled up in our heads. Often they are completely unfounded and make us feel like fools for having believed in them in the first place.

Glad that you found a motorcycle that can give you pleasure regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Star Wars fan??
Yuppers... I was using my original nickname of r2t2 until a number of sites required a minimum of 6 characters... My sister gave me that nickname many decades ago in a universe far... Far away...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I wonder how many of us have said "I'm just looking". lol

Congrats and welcome to the wild side.

·
2,327 Posts
Great intro..Great story.. Congrats on the bike...Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Indian Larry
8,952 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!
Some guys on this forum just went in the shop to buy a T-shirt.

It just happens sometimes

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new RGS.
P.s I'm kind of partial to the Superior Blue myself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts