Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to customize my bike to provide more comfort for my girlfriend as a passenger.

I've got the pure stock RKC, no passenger backrest, nothing.

My g/f has yet to ride on my bike since she lives in SoCal and me in Colorado - but the bike I last rented (from Extreme Dream Rider in Costa Mesa - I highly recommend Russ and his team at EDR) in SoCal she said was the MOST comfortable she's ever been and could ride for hours on that seat! That's all I needed to hear.

So the bike I rented was an '08 Road Glide that had an Electra Glide seat with the wider and higher passenger seat, detachable tour pack, etc. (Read about our ride here)

What I'd like to do is set my RKC up as close to that as possible to give her as much comfort as I can, as well as get the extra storage for Sturgis coming up.

So now to my question. What are your suggestions? I've looked at getting the

-Sundowner deep bucket seat (part # 51093-04A)
or the
-Comfort stitch Seat for the RK models (Part# 51157-04A)
-King Tour-pak luggage (part #53270-06DH)
or the
-Premium Leather Tour-pak (part# 79189-06)

Would like to get everyone's input and suggestions.

Thanks in advance, :Thanks,

David

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seat

Go with the sundowner my wife just bought me/us one for our 06 street glide best seat i have ever rode on. I dont think you will be let down

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mrs likes the leather tour pak its not as big as the king pack though .. make sure ya mount it in the rear holes.. as for seat im looking at that myself right now

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mrs likes the leather tour pak its not as big as the king pack though .. make sure ya mount it in the rear holes.. as for seat im looking at that myself right now
While I love the look of the leather tour pak, I'm wondering if we'll need the larger King Pak - especially for Sturgis.

Thanks Bud.

David

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I've got a tour pac on my RG, nice but it makes a heavy bike even more top heavy, plus if you are going two up to Sturgis and one is female your going to need a semi more than a tour pac . Personally I'd look at a rack and sissy bar, then use a Sac bag or similar, tour pacs are limited to weight and how much you can carry in them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a tour pac on my RG, nice but it makes a heavy bike even more top heavy, plus if you are going two up to Sturgis and one is female your going to need a semi more than a tour pac . Personally I'd look at a rack and sissy bar, then use a Sac bag or similar, tour pacs are limited to weight and how much you can carry in them.

Now that I look at that picture you sent, I think that would be the better way to go. I just want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible - that's my primary goal...otherwise, she won't ride with me and well, I'll sure miss that girl :)

Thanks for the advice and sharing the pics too

David

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Now that I look at that picture you sent, I think that would be the better way to go. I just want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible - that's my primary goal...otherwise, she won't ride with me and well, I'll sure miss that girl :)

Thanks for the advice and sharing the pics too

David
Just don't buy a Corbin seat David, note the Airhawk on my FLHT ( damn I miss that bike ) . I think HD only sell the detatable rack and passenger back rest for the RK , those bags have a pouch that slips over the back rest pad. I'm sure your GF will be comfy & secure with the back rest. It also allows you to remove it and the rack in minutes if you wish. I always place a large plastic bin liner in the bag first ,then pack tee shirts ,under wear etc. in seperate plastic bags inside. So far I've done 400 miles across France in heavy rain and nothing got wet inside. The outside pockets and map pocket come in handy too.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Great pics 88B... Where were they taken from?
Steve they were from our 06 trip to faaker See ( European bike week ) I think the first is in France near the Rhine / German border. The guy on the springer at the back came close to getting throw off a mountain, he ruined the trip for everyone and on the last night on the way home dropped it onto one of my saddle bags.
Second pic is in Austria getting on a train to go though the alps, it's a 15 minute ride and comes out into some beautiful scenery. I first went on it in 04, three of us ( no GPS ) following the map came up the road into a solid rock face, couldn't figure it out until we saw cars driving onto the train.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey David, just a brief Colorado welcome. I'm in Park County not far from Bailey and there's a growing number of us Rocky Mountain riders hanging our hat here.
Thanks! I'm in Douglas County, basically between downtown denver and colorado springs in Castle Rock.

This is a great forum, I'm getting a lot of great information.

Thanks again for the welcome!

David

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just don't buy a Corbin seat David, note the Airhawk on my FLHT ( damn I miss that bike ) . I think HD only sell the detatable rack and passenger back rest for the RK , those bags have a pouch that slips over the back rest pad. I'm sure your GF will be comfy & secure with the back rest. It also allows you to remove it and the rack in minutes if you wish. I always place a large plastic bin liner in the bag first ,then pack tee shirts ,under wear etc. in seperate plastic bags inside. So far I've done 400 miles across France in heavy rain and nothing got wet inside. The outside pockets and map pocket come in handy too.
You know that's a great idea lining the bag with a plastic liner, and you just reminded me that I need to buy rain gear for us too. Not that I think it will rain on our ride up to Sturgis, but if I don't have the rain gear I'm sure to hit some kind of rain. :)

I'm now researching T-Bags...and the like.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Different bags have different mounts to go over or around the back rest pad. With the Harley Sac bags I think they make a few different sizes for different models. I've seen a few with velcro ( I think you call that hook and loop ) straps , obviously they fit almost anything. Might be worth mearsuring the pad before you buy a bag.

I think your going to like that 08 RK, I rode a friends last year, one of the nicest Harley's I've ridden.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts