Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Added an XL to the stable

Now just gotta personalize it. As you can see it's uhhhhh Purple right now. That wil be changed soon. 1997 model 30k on the milage. Paid 3k. Does anyone know what tank it has on it?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The tank is a JP Cycle type 4-5 gallon replacement: Aftermarket. If it were a Roadster tank, it would have a dash. Decals are aftermarket as well. Nice find.

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
Looks like a Paughco extra wide Mustang tank.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Mustang was my next guess.......:mwink

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
Actually on second look, I don't think its a Paughco, but rather a knock off.

The front mounting tabs don't look right for it to be a Paughco.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's. Was looking for info because i'm thinking about replacing it. Or figuring out what seat will fill the gap between the tank. I like the look cause it's close to the deuce and the added capacity is a bonus. I think it's gonna be yellow when I'm done. So since I blew my extra cash buying it, it will be a month or 2 till I can afford to do much. I plan on painting it myself. Now if I can just get my woman to stop making fun of me for owning a purple sportster. LOL

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
A custom made leather tank bib, from the front to the the rear of the tank, maybe studded, or done to match your saddlebags would look really nice and bring the whole package together. Not expensive either.

Nuttin wrong with purple.... of course, flat black would look good too....:D

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Just being grammatically picky, it's "an XL" not "a XL"

You use "an" whenever the word following starts with a vowel, OR SOUNDS LIKE IT STARTS WITH A VOWEL as does "XL" because pronunciation-wise, it sounds like "EX-EL"

Oh and since I'm already being annoying, I'll take this opportunity to point out a way common error on forums like this one, "brake" is the bike stopping hardware or the use of it. "Break" is not.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Just being grammatically picky, it's "an XL" not "a XL"

You use "an" whenever the word following starts with a vowel, OR SOUNDS LIKE IT STARTS WITH A VOWEL as does "XL" because pronunciation-wise, it sounds like "EX-EL"

Oh and since I'm already being annoying, I'll take this opportunity to point out a way common error on forums like this one, "brake" is the bike stopping hardware or the use of it. "Break" is not.
:confused:......

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
Well, doesn't "...a XL.." sound a bit off compared to "..an XL.." ??

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received a work order for one of the vehicles in the fleet at work. It said "break light out". Of course I had to ask if the request was break out a particular light or if they just wanted me to pick one. One 3157 in the left rear and all was good.

Dave I've had that thought of the bib. Basically If the love of my life likes the ride I will tweak it to her taste's. If not I'm thinking xr clone since the low seat height on the Deuce and low center of gravity helps with her comfort level. Gonna go riding in the next week or so and see how it feels to her. Then it's on like donkey kong. Or something like that.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,182 Posts
I once had a boss pull me aside once and say he had gotten this message from an engineer, to complain that his "..printer was worned out.." I just barely avoided saying " If he can't spell any better than this how on earth does he read? " just then my boss says he'd taken the message on the phone and wrote it down himself. Just barely missed getting a whippin' there.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Well, doesn't "...a XL.." sound a bit off compared to "..an XL.." ??
Sure does Nathan..... I know spell stuff wrong here too. I try not to, but my fat fingers don't help, and as long as it's not the important words, I figure it's no big deal....:thumb

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Basically If the love of my life likes the ride I will tweak it to her taste's. If not I'm thinking xr clone since the low seat height on the Deuce and low center of gravity helps with her comfort level. Gonna go riding in the next week or so and see how it feels to her.
If she's not a tall gal, that seat will help, as it's a Badlander and one of the thinnest, yet still somewhat comfortable seat you'll get on a Sporty.

Maybe consider some Progressive rear shocks to drop it a tad more if she needs it and even the fronts, if need be. :thumb

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking about the shorter shocks too. Right now it's inch and a half taller than the deuce. BUT..... with the sundowner on (the deuce) it's an inch lower. I figured we'd take them both out for a ride her startin off on the Deuce since she hasn't rode in a few months and she was comfortable riding it. Then changing out to the sundowner and see if the comfort level is the same, and THEN putting her on the sporty. She knows her comfort zone and does not like to stray outside it. (I consider that smart) If it's a case of an inch or so that's an easy fix. The sport rides NICE but the Deuce is so plush.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks 'thunder Well it looks like she might tolerate it (lol) She handles the Duece well but remarked at how light the sporty is. Doesn't like the battery box pokin her leg. But nothing to bad. So if I modify it for her I won't do much. She still has to ride it first and hopefully that will be tomorrow. As soon as I know I can start but here are those plans. Those HUGE freakin turn signals have to go. Red lenses on the rear. I'm going to shorten the fender. Just below the taillight. lower the front fender as close as I can. I want the 2" extended fatbob tank that curves around the seat. Probablly try and sell this one to cover part of the new one. I'd like a solo seat that has a little more padding. I like the 04 up oem solo's and plan on doing away with the sissybar. Possibly lower it in the rear. I would really love to have the wide tire kit but that will have to wait. So a few changes but not much. If she doesn't like it I'm thinking xr1200 clone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Short shocks

I installed the 1" lower "Progressive Suspension" shocks, sold by my HD dealer, on my '06 1200 Custom. He told me I would be happy with them because they were actually BETTER than the Standard HD shocks. He was right. They perform well and give me a much more comfortable feel on the bike. I have a 29" inseam and enjoy being able to put both feet flat on the ground AND Raise my but up off the seat. I thought of getting the lowered seat as well, but the stock seat is bad enough. I don't want to trade bad for worse when it comes down to seat comfort. I am looking for a comfortable after market solo seat. I haven't settled on one yet, I'm still looking.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey mustang maybe I can make you a deal on a seat. My plans have changed dramatically since yesterday. I have a solo seat made by ultima I bought on ebay last night. This morning my soon to be ex room-mate asked to buy his sportster back. He's going thru a divorce (seperated) and when I was looking for bikes he offered me his. Well now he want's to give it to his soon to be ex. Pissed me off but it cost him. I had given him $2300 and owed him $700. He bought it back from me for $3600 cash. SOOOO now I own a 2000 Buell m2 cyclone that will become a custom in a yr or so. I'm kinda happy to get the good engine but pissed he used the pity card on me. Let me know if your intersted and I'll send ya some pics when I get it in the mail.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 21 Posts