Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I need to invest in a pair of these for my 48!

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Not sure how safe that is. In event you lay it down for a long slide.??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have also seen enough loaded hose clamps fail. Might get some grief from a nosey cop too.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and look for a better clamping system.
The fire extinguishers clamp didn't fit the circumference o the bottle.
I do have the fire extinguishers bracket, so maybe I can mod it to fit the throat of the bottle which is a little bigger than the bracket.
We will see.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
I personally wouldn't have mounted them there, but to each their own. La Rosa makes bags with an attachment to hold those bottles. I wanted them when I ordered my bags from them, but I wasn't sure how good they would look. Plus I was in the process of buying a lot of parts, so I was looking for a way to save some money. I opted for the cheaper, bottle-less option. This was before I had been on longer rides....now I realize how nice it would be to have those bottles. I'll buy a few and carry them in a backpack or something.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
I personally wouldn't have mounted them there, but to each their own. La Rosa makes bags with an attachment to hold those bottles. I wanted them when I ordered my bags from them, but I wasn't sure how good they would look. Plus I was in the process of buying a lot of parts, so I was looking for a way to save some money. I opted for the cheaper, bottle-less option. This was before I had been on longer rides....now I realize how nice it would be to have those bottles. I'll buy a few and carry them in a backpack or something.
Worked FMS at Dover when the C-5A was starting to have issues with the wings. Had us stripping the paint off bolts check for cracks. Kinda miss the old place, except for the mosquitos in summer. Ride Safe

·
Registered
751 Posts
My buddy that I ride the most with has a Sporty with a 3.3 gallon tank. We stop way more often than I need to seeing that I have a 5 gallon tank. Last year he bought a fuel bottle to keep in the saddle bag just in case as we went on a really long ride (1700 miles). It never got used. We (he) planned ahead and knew of every fuel stop along the way.

To him it was nothing more than piece of mind.

I will say that on more than one occasion we had to back track to find a stop prior to having the extra fuel. It wasn't because I needed gas though.

Thing that stinks is in most cases I can't skip a fuel stop when her needs it. If I ship it he doesn't have to stop when I do.

Oh well. Just another reason to stop for a smoke I guess.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
That is a bad location to carry gasoline! Really bad! If you lay that bike down, you are just about 100% guaranteed to have a gasoline fire.

I know a few guys who live in the western US where gas stations can be few and far between. They carry extra gasoline in MSR fuel bottles that they usually store in sissy bar bags where they are somewhat protected from a lay-down or crash.

A local fab shop built a tank for a fellow who goes to Alaska and Canada every summer. It replaces his tour pack with an additional six gallons of fuel.

Pete

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK update: Still fabing up a bracket.

But I wanted to tell those who are getting this SIZE bottle that I can go 11-13 miles on this bottle as a reserve at 40-50mph and some stop-n-go traffic. I could probably go a little further but right now I think I'm getting 39-40 mpg and I'm trying to adjust the carb/new AC. Better than pushing.

Your size engine and twisting the throttle will vary these results.

Jim

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I would find a larger fuel tank if it was mine. Ride Safe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts