Harley Davidson Forums banner

Adding a fairing to heritage. has anyone done this?

17K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  hayweed 
#1 ·
I have been seeing bikes with added fairings, hard bags, etc. has anyone added a fairing to a heritage classic? i have been looking at them. wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are.:think

#2 ·
I used to work with a guy that added a fairing to a deluxe and he liked it and never mention any downfalls.

The guy that made his fairing web site was on my favorites with my old computer, no longer have it.

They looked just like fairing off of a street glide, you could order them with several options.

#6 ·
There are numerous RK's, Heritage's and a Deluxe around here.........Most are from Reckless as the Reckless fairing is made locally. Never heard any complain or mention a downside other than the fairing never seems to get taken off.

Was gonna go that route with my RK (adding a fairing) but I ran across a good deal on an Ultra so I traded instead.

Reckless Motorcycles

#7 ·
I was very seriously considering it at one point. I decided not to for a couple of reasons:

1. Cost. I did the math, and by the time I bought the fairing, the stereo, speakers, etc. and had everything painted to color-match the rest of the bike, I would have actually spent more than it cost me to trade off the Heritage and get an Electra Glide.

2. Capacity. I am a decent-sized guy. I have weighed as much as 290 lbs and go about 240 right now. My wife is a trim, smoking hot 150ish on her 5'8" frame. With both of us on the bike with lids and leather, and if we had a extra pounds of picnic or other crap in the bags, you could really feel that the Heritage was "maxed" in terms of GVWR. It wasn't dangerous in my opinion, but it was pretty obvious that we were maxing the braking, suspension, etc. It was fine, but far from ideal. A fiberglass fairing, radio, hard bags with the hardware, etc. was only going to add to that weight - maybe 30-40 lbs? I didn't need that.

When we ride 2-up on my EGC, the difference is significant -especially the brakes. You can tell the bike is made for that purpose. I just realized I was going to spend a lot of money and not really have anything close to what I really wanted.

All that said, I have seen a couple of "ElectraHeritages" that guys have done the batwing and hard bags on. If done well, it looks awesome. If you don't have the same concerns I had, you may find it a great option. And, if you have a common color (black! :)) you may find the parts already painted. That would cut the costs by a great deal.

This bike was for sale here on the classified a while back. I have no idea where it was, who it belonged to or whatever happened to it. I just think it looks freaking awesome:

#10 ·
Adding Fairing to a Heritage

I am having Johnny Legends install a Hoppe Sportzilla on mine right
Now. It is going to paint on Monday. Mock up looks good. Can't wait to
see it painted and pin stripped. I originally ordered one from Dragonfly
but that did not turn out

#11 ·
you can check out wide open plastics, or wide open customs. this guy is about 20 miles from me. I've seen his work, and talked to guys who have bought fairings. one guy owned a fatboy. everyone I've talked to was happy with his work. i'd like to have one, but I may trade up to a glide. haven't decided yet.
regards,
dave

#14 ·
They make a bracket assembly to put a RG fairing on a softail as well. Cycle Visions makes it. Page # 38 in the Drag Specialties book

#19 ·
chasarms, the pictures of that heritage are awesome. if his pipes came out both sides, it would be even better. wjco9, i'm interested in the road king cruise. please pm me with info, if it's not too much trouble.
regards,
dave

#25 ·
The fairing is from Reckless, we installed the radio ourselves, picked up the fairing from a guy in town for 200 bucks what a deal. my brother in law is supposed to let me know today where he got the cruise control from and I'll post it up on here so everybody knows. wasn't hard to install just took a lot of rerouting of wires and new handlebars switches.

Jay

#27 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. I decided to go with the Tsukayu with GPS. After looking around this seemed like the best deal. I ordered it in Gloss Black as my bike is black and after I called them they suggested not to color match as I would not need to. They were very helpful. Will post pictures once I get it installed.

https://tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairingwithGPS.html

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#32 ·
Got my fairing in and installed it. Was able to take it for a ride today as well. Very easy installation as it fits in the windshield brackets and has a lock. Actual install time including wiring 45 minutes. Her are a few pics View attachment 153561 View attachment 153569

Took a few minutes to get used it.. But after 15 minutes I wondered how to ride with out it. Handles the same, but seems a little heavier (in a good way) at highway speeds. Seems to have more control. I am going to order the shorter windshield as I look through this one. Will have to see which one I like better. This also has the flip up not just a straight windshield.

Glad you are happy with it! You will get spilled to the fairing!

#30 ·
Took a few minutes to get used it.. But after 15 minutes I wondered how to ride with out it. Handles the same, but seems a little heavier (in a good way) at highway speeds. Seems to have more control. I am going to order the shorter windshield as I look through this one. Will have to see which one I like better. This also has the flip up not just a straight windshield.

#33 ·
Open Road Cycles in Denver, NC has put fairing on a long list of bikes with great success. I think that they mostly use Memphis Shades fairings. You could give Leo or AJ a call; they have mounting fairing pretty much down to a science.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.