Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a leather Tour-Pak from Craigslist for $275 (see pic)

What I'm wondering is what do I need to buy in addition so I can mount this Tour Pak. I've looked at the Harley Catalog to see what I need...but I'm confused. I've been told "you only need the two up detachable tour-pak rack (53276-04)". But I think I have that on this already, right?. Then others have said that all I need is Touring Detachable docking hardware kit (53804-06). Then I heard someone else say - just get the four point detachable hadware so you have more flexibility (don't have a part number for that one).

So...what do I need - any help would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
You got some form of Detachable Rack I know that, whether it's for you model?? Havent heard of a four point system yet.
You can be sure at least that the >docking hardware kit< that you buy for THAT bike will fit any rack HD puts out for THAT model/bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got some form of Detachable Rack I know that, whether it's for you model?? Havent heard of a four point system yet.
You can be sure at least that the >docking hardware kit< that you buy for THAT bike will fit any rack HD puts out for THAT model/bike.
Thank you! Even my HD dealer wasn't very helpful...they wanted to spend time (probably $$) having their tech look at what I had.

I'll go get that docking hardware kit today.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Thank you! Even my HD dealer wasn't very helpful...they wanted to spend time (probably $$) having their tech look at what I had.

I'll go get that docking hardware kit today.
Try going straight to the Parts counter, these guys usually dont give a rats a## about sales/andor keeping techs,mechs paid.
And will usually pull out a catolog or look it up for ya. Get an good parts guy and he can be more helpful than any body else in the building.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try going straight to the Parts counter, these guys usually dont give a rats a## about sales/andor keeping techs,mechs paid.
And will usually pull out a catolog or look it up for ya. Get an good parts guy and he can be more helpful than any body else in the building.
Alright, I went to the dealer parts desk (not sure I got a 'good' parts guy, or even a so-so one). He said all I needed was 53804-06. Okay, "sold".

Turns out I need the front docking point as well...however, the thing that I'm most frustrated with is the alignment of the holes when trying to put this docking hardware on. Its the saddle bag support bracket front hole that doesn't line up. Am I supposed to have this on a lift to take the pressure off? I can't remember being this frustrated in long time. I was a precision machinist in a previous life and all I could think of was "what poor engineering".

I finallly got the right side done...but gave up on the left side last night.

Any suggestions?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
been there!! level on a jack helps,if not try to lift up or some what move the rear fender "gently" to allign bolt holes,should work,get help,be patient it'll go.i had the same battle.try leaving bolts loose then start other side if not take it apart again do left first, i know your probably thinking f-- that but it worked for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been there!! level on a jack helps,if not try to lift up or some what move the rear fender "gently" to allign bolt holes,should work,get help,be patient it'll go.i had the same battle.try leaving bolts loose then start other side if not take it apart again do left first, i know your probably thinking f-- that but it worked for me.
Okay...I'll give that a try...patience - good advice...that's why I walked away from it last night.

I'll let you know what happens.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
good decision to walk away,front dockers are a bi--h,rear dockers piece of :cake

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good decision to walk away,front dockers are a bi--h,rear dockers piece of :cake
Oh great...i'm looking forward to that! LOL

thanks

By the way, I've removed the right side and I can definitely feel a difference in lining up the left...just need more persistence...too bad I have to work today, I'd rather finish this job up before the weekend.

Priorities, Priorities...hmmmm....I think I'll compromise and work a half day! :lol8

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally got what I needed to mount tour pak. For the record, front and rear docking hardware was definitely required for my tour pak.

Another thing that was required was patience. That rear hardware was a freakin' PITA!! Instructions were - well, what can I say they leave a lot to be desired. I'm no newby to tools either - I'm the son of a precision machinist, I grew up running big turret lathes, CNC mills, working with a +/- 10,000th of an inch...I know how to turn a wrench and yet I found this to be a very challenging install.

I will say that if you have a motorcycle lift - that will help, quite a bit take the load off the suspension so you can line up all of the holes.

This is what I did to install the rear docking hardware...

I removed my seat, so I could get my hands on the rear fender more readily.

I ended up putting a nut in my socket so it was able to grip about 3/4 of the bolt head. What this allowed me to do was apply pressure to the bolt as I was trying to get it threaded while lifting on my fender a bit to help align the holes. Believe it or not, this worked great!

I started on the LEFT side of the bike - I tried starting on the right side before and couldn't get it done. someone here suggested starting on the left - after growling a bit - I tried it. Worked!!

Once I got the rear hardware on - the rest was a piece of cake!!! Really!!!

Here are some pictures of the final product!!

Thanks for everyone's help, encouragement and support!

David

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been considering a Sundowner for my RKC. How would you describe the differences from stock? Does it lower your sitting height? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. What are you considering for pipes?
By the way - your bike is looking fantastic:thumb:thumb:thumb

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
So I finally got what I needed to mount tour pak.
That looks so much nicer, to me at least, then a fiberglass, painted tour-pak. Very nice.............:thumb

·
Registered
14 Posts
the sundowner seat has a higher back ,it sit lower ,but the front nose area is a bit wider than stock so legs are positioned further apart . the whole seat is wider especially the passenger pillon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly what Martillo said - I've also feel like I'm moved forward a little bit at the legs a bit further back at the chest (does that make sense?). doesn't feel uncomfortable - but definitely makes me want to adjust my bars to pull them back a bit and maybe get some extended foot boards and foot controls.

I plan on riding this to California in July to see my girlfriend - so I want to be as comfortable as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts