Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
239 Posts
I have the stationary bracket. It seemed to push me forward so I got some longer bolts and washers to use as shims on the front and am satisfied with the results. Not the same bracket as yours but it might help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this on a 2017 Road Glide Special with a tallboy seat and the non-adjustable Harley backrest. The stock bolts are 1/4x20 x3/4"., Go to the store and get 1/4x20 x1" bolts and 1/4x20 nuts (quantity 2 of each). Put the nuts between the forward bracket and the bike and use the stock locking nuts underneath. This will put the backrest at least an inch further back. It's perfect for me and I am 6'6" tall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this on a 2017 Road Glide Special with a tallboy seat and the non-adjustable Harley backrest. The stock bolts are 1/4x20 x3/4"., Go to the store and get 1/4x20 x1" bolts and 1/4x20 nuts (quantity 2 of each). Put the nuts between the forward bracket and the bike and use the stock locking nuts underneath. This will put the backrest at least an inch further back. It's perfect for me and I am 6'6" tall.
hey man can you post a pic of what you mean? I really need to figure this out I feel like I’ve lost all the room I gained from the tallboy lol

·
Registered
731 Posts
Erikc, look at how the mount sits on the bike, now, add a 1/4" shim to raise the front of the bracket, and that will change the angle of the mount enough to move the backrest rearward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stopped in at the HD on saturday and purchased the adjustable rider's backrest for my 2012 SG. Installed it when I go home and tried it on our ride yesterday. It moves me to far forward. I really like the support it gives my back for long rides, but other than that it makes everything else more uncomfortable.

Is there any way to get this thing to either slide further back or at least tilt further back? Has anyone modified there's in some way to keep it from moving you to far forward. I'm just an average heigth guy at 5'10", no way a 6'+ guy could use one. All i've heard is that once you've used one, you wouldn't ride without it. If I can't do something to give me more room, its coming off.
My husband is 6' 2" his brand new backrest is sitting on garage floor. We installed & found out it tops his body forward. You ride on your family jewels since every adjustment does nothing to sit you back on your butt. Anyone knows correct way please share info. What an entire waste of money

·
Registered
3 Posts
My husband is 6' 2" his brand new backrest is sitting on garage floor. We installed & found out it tops his body forward. You ride on your family jewels since every adjustment does nothing to sit you back on your butt. Anyone knows correct way please share info. What an entire waste of money
Sorry typo TIPS his body forward. He did adjust all the scres per Corbins directions none fix the issue

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
Post some photos of the back rest in place without the seat. Might be able to figure something out with that.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
I bought and installed a Grasshopper back rest. The backrest & their mounting bracket was, like, maybe $85. Pleased with the price and pleased with the backrest. But...., with my HD Tallboy seat the backrest moves me a bit forward. No good. I guess with any backrest you can try shimming it one place or another, washers, so forth and so on. Not much help on mine. But...., I fixed it by mounting the mounting bracket upside down from what the instructions said to do. Geeze what a difference. Solved my problem altogether. Don't know what might work for you but, you might consider just getting and trying a Grasshopper backrest.

Also, I didn't buy my Grasshopper backrest from Grasshopper. I was concerned about trying to return it for a refund if it didn't work out for some reason or if I just plain didn't like it. So I bought my Grasshopper backrest from Amazon, about the same price, maybe even a couple bucks cheaper. But I knew if I wasn't happy with it for any reason at all I could return it to Amazon as they don't question much, if anything, on returns.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts