Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember a thread about these helmets recently with many positive reviews (because the carbon/kevlar combo made them considerably smaller, yet still meeting DOT standards).

They posted this on their site today:

Advanced Carbon Composites Recall Notice

Notice they're offering a refund, not a replacement: ie: they havent fixed the issue...

Just a heads up...

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Yeah, I hope they can get one approved by the DOT. I was really interested in buying one of their helmets, but if the current helmets aren't DOT, I might as well buy some cheapo novelty...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
14,053 Posts
They used to have pages of testimonials on life-saving toughness of their non-DOT helmets.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Carbon fiber,,,

Something to consider,,investigate,,
Carbon fiber when Impacted Is stronger but when Impacted hard to the point of fracture those fiber's are like thin steel, and they are on the move.
A regular helmet would fracture and the Inner core would stop the chunks of the plastic shell from getting to your head.
Carbon fibers,,look like wire's,,they would slice right through the Inner shell of a helmet and I doubt your skull could stop them,,,

I can't find it But I saw a test video of a carbon fiber dive tank getting over pressurized to failure. the shardes of carbon went in
all directions and even left cut marks on the steel surface of the Tanks mount, It also shreadded a pressure hose,,were talkin 9,000 plus psi here.

You Military guys use em right? whats the skinny on impact damage,not bullet penetration??

IMO a If a chunk of a carbon helmet got displaced the fibers extending from the fracture could be inside your brain like tiny swords,,,hundreds of em,,I'm waiting for more DOT testing,,The damn thangs look cool tho

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This statement :"Advanced Carbon Composites’ helmets do not comply with FMVSS No. 218 in the areas of impact attenuation, penetration and/or labeling." sounds like the issue.. labeling could probably just be 'adding a DOT sticker to the back of the mofo', but the others, who knows

i was looking into one too, but not until they can get the DOT status all squared away, that's a lot of money....

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Something to consider,,investigate,,
Carbon fiber when Impacted Is stronger but when Impacted hard to the point of fracture those fiber's are like thin steel, and they are on the move.
A regular helmet would fracture and the Inner core would stop the chunks of the plastic shell from getting to your head.
Carbon fibers,,look like wire's,,they would slice right through the Inner shell of a helmet and I doubt your skull could stop them,,,

I can't find it But I saw a test video of a carbon fiber dive tank getting over pressurized to failure. the shardes of carbon went in
all directions and even left cut marks on the steel surface of the Tanks mount, It also shreadded a pressure hose,,were talkin 9,000 plus psi here.

You Military guys use em right? whats the skinny on impact damage,not bullet penetration??
IMO a If a chunk of a carbon helmet got displaced the fibers extending from the fracture could be inside your brain like tiny swords,,,hundreds of em,,I'm waiting for more DOT testing,,The damn thangs look cool tho
No, we use Kevlar. Different material. :thumbsup

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i notice that the site now only calls them 'kayak or whitewater helmets' and they've pretty much taken down any references to 'motorcycle helmets'... they also removed the page talking about the advanced technology AND the prices have dropped to like $129... i'd say some people there are in the market for a new job....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Advanced Carbon composites EXT Motorcylce Helmets

Unfortunately they did not issue the refund they said they would. I called and they were suppose to send me a return label so I could return my helmet and they were going to issue a refund. I contacted them in May and i still haven't heard from them. I called the 800 # and their regular business # and both numbers are disconnected and the website is gone!!!

Me & 7 of my friends are out $206.00!! :cussing

Wish I knew how I could contact them!!!:mad

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
14,053 Posts
I'd give $50 for the right one of those terrible dangerous helmets.

maybe $75. Post up pix and sizes.

Quit yer whining.

:ride

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still have one. Awesome helmet and not a scratch on it. It's light and I feel that it offers more protection than a lot of the other brands. DOT Testing is limited and biased. I trust my life with it!

·
Road Junkie
2,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum, BDubz. A couple of recommendations:

1. Make an introduction post in the New Member thread and tell us a little about yourself, your scoot, and interests.

2. Always check the age of a thread when responding. You may be up for the "Blast from the Past" award for responding to this 8-year-old thread! The good news is you probably found the Search function!

Again, welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.