Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 06 RKC. It has what I believe to be the factory windshield. 20 inches. I'm tall and the top of the shield is pretty much eye level for me. I find myself looking over it and through it at times and its a bit annoying. I see that harley makes a 22in shield and that would allow me to be looking through it but man thats a big honkin shield. If I were to to go with a shorter shield to be looking over it I would have to get a shield that was quite a bit lower. How low below your face is practicle to still keep the wind and bugs from ruining your day? I'm lovin this thing and its everyhting I wanted after nto riding for a very long time so I guess now I'm getting nick picky and trying to fine tune it for my needs. Appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
You could try an 18 inch. Love my long ride shield. Has a recurve at the top and directs everything over your head. They have a video on their site that shows how to figure the size you need.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Check out the options from Long Ride Shields. Great company to deal with and they have a super LabormDay salemon right now I believe. Many forum members have them and are pleased with them.. they can give you reliable advice on fitment by telephone.

Conventional wisdom recommends that the top of the shield is just below the tip of your nose. I've found that that varies while riding because my posture during a ride is never static for very long. You can use a slightly lower height with a LRS because the recurve at the top shoots the airflow a little higher.

--

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
LRS makes a good product at a reasonable price , it's better to look over than through a windshield IMO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looking over is all ways better. I collect ALOT of bugs on my rides lol and it's hard to see thru them at night with headlights comming at you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. When I'm sitting as low as possible in the seat nose level is about 3 inches lower than the top of this 20in shield which would mean if I'm wanting to be able to look over the top at all times I'll probably be looking at a 16in shield with the recurve. I was out today for a ride and I'm definitely looking through it most of the time so you got me on track with what I need. I checked out that LRS site and they have plenty to choose from. Going to contact someone there, tell them my situation and see what they suggest. Enjoying the hell out of my new toy. Wish I would have had the time to get back into it sooner. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've been told that the top of the windshield should be anywhere from the bridge of your nose to your upper lip in height. I just installed a Clearview Windshield with recurve and it's one of the smartest purchases I've made in a while. My old Harley windshield was weather beaten, scratched etc (13 years old). It would buffet and flex with semi trailers heading in the opposite direction. That's a thing of the past now even at 80 and up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ride an Electra Glide and last year I bought a 12" curved shield from Freedom Shields. I am 6'5" tall and with the stock shield my head was buffeting left and right at speeds above 35 mph. The 12" shield reaches up to the "tip of my nose", and depending on how I sit (straight up or leaned back with the legs on the highway pegs) I look over it or through it. And since the "slip-stream" is now diverted over my head I don't collect too many bugs. But I still wear a faceshield (I do love my eyes!).

The best investment I have ever made!

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
I agree with everyone about the LRS. I have had one installed for over a year and am very pleased with the appreciable difference with the LRS recurve. The air is much calmer now behind the shield than what the stock offered. The buffeting that was so annoying with the stock is virtually eliminated. As far as deciding on the right size, just measure for a proper fit when you are sitting upright. The slouching that we all inevitably succumb to while riding will not present a problem.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just put a klock werks shield on my road king I look over it and have no problems. It has a curve in it to direct the air flow way over your head, good 4 inches. The side are also flowed to direct the air away from you. I would buy another when needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts