Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not entirely satisfied with the slipons I put on my '15 FLSTN Softail Deluxe, and I'm thinking about going back to stock for now. I have an HD stage 1 A/C and a V&H FP3 tuner.

So, do you think I should go back to the stock A/C for now, too? The FP3 has maps for either way. I'm thinking leave the stage 1 A/C on there but wasn't sure...

Also, would you change the muffler clamps? Anything else?

I'm sure someone is going to ask: the slipons I have are V&H Straightshots HS. There's nothing WRONG with them. With the quiet baffles they are actually pretty good. I like them on the road, but in the city they are just a little annoying to me. Just not what I was hoping for, I guess. Seems like at certain RPMs they just don't sound *good* to me. Shrug, after I put the stock back on I'll probably say, damn, these suck and put the V&H back on lol.

·
Poser Member # 99
18,336 Posts
Why would any one want to go backwards as far performance

If you don't like the sound find one you like and go with that one

There's a sticky on how to reuse muffler clamps in the forum section at the top of the page

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would any one want to go backwards as far performance

If you don't like the sound find one you like and go with that one

There's a sticky on how to reuse muffler clamps in the forum section at the top of the page
Thanks for the tip on the clamps, depending on price I may do that.

I don't understand why anyone would want to go backwards on performance either--notice I said I was unhappy with the sound. And yes, I probably will go with another system, full system, next time but just don't feel like it right now.

Besides, and I'm definitely no mechanic, but with these new headers having catalytic converters I doubt the addition of slipons matters much at all anyway and is known to actually decrease torque in some circumstances. The fact that no tune is needed for just slipons suggests to me they do little other than alter sound. If they did much the ECM probably couldn't handle it.

The only measure of performance I care about is the one in my own head. I'll report honestly how this works out for me, but I suspect the performance part will be negligible. I'm guessing the A/C and FP3 are primarily responsible for whatever performance I gained.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would leave the stage 1 AC on the bike if you plan to upgrade the exhaust in the future anyway. Just run it and see how it goes. Worst case you're a little heavy on fuel because of the more restrictive mufflers. If that's the case you might see it in the mileage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Edit: they are just zinc bolts, flange head. $1.04 ea at dealer and about .10 cents everywhere else LOL

Hey, anybody know what grade the bolts are that hold a stock muffler to the muffler support or frame? HD didn't give me mine back after my slip on install.

I have some standard zinc bolts that fit, but I doubted they were stout enough. Oddly, the service manual doesn't appear to list ifems like this, except as "muffler support bolt" or whatever, no size or anything...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, even though I'm the only one still interested in this thread, I did promise an honest report.

With stock pipes, stage 1 A/C, and applicable FP3 tune I suspected the performance hit would be negligible. That's probably not the right word. It is noticeable, I would say. Will I notice in a week? I doiubt it, but maybe.

In my case I am absolutely thrilled to have those obnoxious pipes off, though. I didn't realize how bad they were until they were gone. I'm sure a full system is in my future, but I'm going to be much more careful next time.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Hey, anybody know what grade the bolts are that hold a stock muffler to the muffler support or frame? HD didn't give me mine back after my slip on install.

[{QUOTE]

You need a Grade 5 bolt. Pretty much standard automotive also. Unless its a special application, be higher grade.

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
I have a 13 FLSTN with tuner, air kit and V&H True Duels (one each side). The sound and performance are great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.