Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New member and soon to be Harley owner here (first post). Quick question if I may. Please forgive me if I am asking questions that have previously been answered. I have searched around, this site and others, with no definitive answers from riders....all i have found is a bunch of mixed reviews.

Okay, on to the questions. Going to be pulling the trigger on my first Harley ever and its going to be brand new. I am; however, torn between the Super Glide Custom and the Softtail Slim.

What holds me back from moving on the Super Glide Custom are the alleged vibration issues I have heard of around different forums and online.

Question 1) Do the new 2013 Super Glide Customs still have this "vibration" issue around 3000 RPM or has HD fixed it?

Question 2) My research tells me the Softtail Slims dont have the vibration issue. Would anyone advise to the contrary?

Question 3) Have any riders had issues with plastic shoes riding on cam chains wearing out and causing major internal issues due to bits of plastic and metal? Please see:

I Love Harley-Davidson, But You Must Know This | J&P Cycles' Motorcycle Parts and Accessories Blog

Question 4) What do you recommend I pull the trigger on? 2013 Super Glide Custom or the 2013 Softail Slim? FYI, my budget fits both.

I am a short guy, 5' 5" about 170 pounds. Will be using the bike as a daily commuter (around 50 miles per day round trip to and from work) about half of which will be highway and half city. Before I blow $15 - $17K I want to make sure I have heard from some experience HD riders.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!!!:thumbsup

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I say test ride both and find out about vibration yourself.
I would not worry about cam chain tensioners as this is really a non issue since 2007 I believe.

·
2008 FXD
156 Posts
Enjoy the ride of the Glide

If you like riding the twisties and great handling then the Super Glide is for you. I have ridden other Harleys. ( Sportster and Softtail ) My daughter has a 07 Softtail and it doesn't handle as good as my 08 Super Glide FXD.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,509 Posts
If you like riding the twisties and great handling then the Super Glide is for you. I have ridden other Harleys. ( Sportster and Softtail ) My daughter has a 07 Softtail and it doesn't handle as good as my 08 Super Glide FXD.
Most Harley shops are offering test drives for the spring Sales season . I'd go and find a couple of dealers and take the one's your interested in for a ride .

then decide
I love the handling of my Super Glide. However, it's potential far exceeds my capabilities. I think you should take Big John's advice. If a dealer won't let you ride them, find one that will. Or, better yet, rent one for a weekend, then the other.

Now, get on over to the "new to the community" section, introduce yourself, then stick around a while. There's a lot of good folk here, and you get find just about any answer you need (including the proper way to wave after you get your new Harley).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far! FYI, i will be taking both the Super Glide Custom and the Softtail Slim for test rides; however, my experience on a HD for a 15 minute test drive will be limited.

Was kinda hoping for info from those who currently have experience extensively driving a 2012-13 Super Glide Custom and if there have been any issues with vibration...

Same goes for the cam chain tensioners. Any riders out there on a 2012-13 Super Glide Custom or Softtail Slim come across this issue of them wearing out and causing major internal probs?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the handling of my Super Glide. However, it's potential far exceeds my capabilities. I think you should take Big John's advice. If a dealer won't let you ride them, find one that will. Or, better yet, rent one for a weekend, then the other.

Now, get on over to the "new to the community" section, introduce yourself, then stick around a while. There's a lot of good folk here, and you get find just about any answer you need (including the proper way to wave after you get your new Harley).
Thanks for advice Southernman!!

Heading over to introduce myself now!

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
Another option would be taking rental bikes for a weekend. That would give more riding time and a better feel for the bikes.
The difference between the A and B engines is significant because the B engine is internally balanced versus the A engine which is rubber mounted.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I agree try them both, I have a Wide Glide and love it. The forward controls on the Wide Glide give me the leg room and chopper style I was looking for in a bike. Another selling point for me was the 103 engine and 6 speed transmission.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a 2013 Super Glide, and I really like the way it handles. That was the driving force with a bike purchase. It had to fit a few parameters, and handling was second in line. My bike doesn't seem to have any vibration issues. You can feel it, but I wouldn't call it an issue. My brothers Softail is certainly smoother than mine though.

Being that you are kinda short the mid controls on the super glide will probably fit you well. I have both the stock mid controls, and the highway pegs on mine. It the twisties I like the mids even though I'm 6'2" tall. When I'm just riding around I do like having my feet further forward.

One thing that may make a difference to you is the Softail has the 103 engine, and the Super Glide has the 96.

Need to add: Not sure what the clearance is on the slim, but I constantly scrape the pegs. I have to really have it layed over to do it, but I could stand a tiny bit more clearance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone has been awesome!

Thanks for the great tips. After reading all of your reply's i have decided that i will rent both, each for a weekend, to cruise around and get their feel.

If I decided to move with the Super Glide (which I feel I am leaning towards) I will also look at upgrading from the 96 to the internally balanced 103.

thanks again and keep the advice coming!

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
Nope ... no upgrading to the B engine in the Dyna frame ! The B engine is solid mounted in the frame. The Dyna model only accepts the rubber mount A engine. The engines have different crankcase configurations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats odd... maybe its my noobness (LOL) but i was able to build a 2013 Super Glide Custom with the 103 online at HD.com. Also, just came back from the dealer (taking more looks and doing research) and he explained that, for an additional cost, the Super Glide Custom 96 could be upgraded to the larger 103.

No biggie though.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Banned
681 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far! FYI, i will be taking both the Super Glide Custom and the Softtail Slim for test rides; however, my experience on a HD for a 15 minute test drive will be limited.
15 minutes? I rode my FXDL (the dealer's demo-bike) for an hour and 40 miles before I bought it! If they'll only give you 15 minutes I'd find another dealer - or rent one as advised by others.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thats odd... maybe its my noobness (LOL) but i was able to build a 2013 Super Glide Custom with the 103 online at HD.com. Also, just came back from the dealer (taking more looks and doing research) and he explained that, for an additional cost, the Super Glide Custom 96 could be upgraded to the larger 103.

No biggie though.

Thanks for the help!!!
103 yes. 103B, no.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts