Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bought a Road King last weekend and is already planning a 2-week, 3,000 mile ride that'll begin next week.

He's riding from Pueblo, CO to my house in Felton, CA, then down to Santa Barbara (where the company he works for is based) and will then take the southern route back home.

The question he has is about US Hwy 50 from Salt Lake City through Nevada to Reno, which is the most direct and non-slab way to get across the region. It's been dubbed 'The Loneliest Road in America' due to "large desolate areas traversed by the route, with few or no signs of civilization." Just wondering if anyone here has ever ridden it, and whether gas stations or road conditions (or anything else) are enough of a concern to avoid this stretch altogether. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I would definitely be carrying a extra gallon or two of gas. Looks like a great trip though!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Been on highway 50 a few times from bay area to Utah.
I also wheel a built Jeep TJ, and Moab is a favorite playground.
I'm just over the hill from you in the valley.

Highway 50 is a much better route than 80. I think 80 is the more
boring road, for getting across Nevada. Highway 50 is a two lane
mountain road with nice twisties, straights, and scenery. I don't
understand why it's been called the most boring road, it's not to me.
And anyone who likes to ride a bike, should love this road. Don't
remember that gas was a problem, plenty of places along the way. Just
fill up when you're lower than 1/2 tank whenever you pass a gas
station. But it's not that desolate.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a dude that rode a metric
from Salt Lake City to the bay area in one day. Made 1000 miles
in one day, and he took highway 50. There is some good video
of the road, and towns, and info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjeRopZT6u8

Good Luck and Congrats to your Bro on his new bike!

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, duckman!!

·
Asylum Inmate
12,390 Posts
Hwy 50 is great. When you run the big open stretches you are alone.. You, wind, road nothing but twin cylinders making the sound... He will love the roll!

Make sure he runs the original alignment of RT 66 through Arizona!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just rode Highway 50 three weeks ago to Utah and back, had no problem finding gas. Like duckman says half a tank better to fill it up. 50 is a great ride, historic too if you have time to stop and check out the towns and the pony express sites.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - much appreciated!

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if he just got it...whats he gonna do about his first 1000 mile oil change ?
It's an '08 with 7k miles. He changed all the fluids immediately after buying it and will have the 10k service done when he gets back.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
50 is known as the loneliest road because when they built I-80 and I-90 nobody used it anymore. Which makes it great for motorcycle travel. It's not boring IMO. Went west on it about 5 years ago and really loved it. As you go into the "mountains" on the west end there's a pretty little town. Good place for lunch and gas.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Seems the other members have dispelled the myth on availability of gas, but what about the heat? It is July; summertime; desert terrain......? Should any special precautions be taken for heat?

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems the other members have dispelled the myth on availability of gas, but what about the heat? It is July; summertime; desert terrain......? Should any special precautions be taken for heat?

Good thought. I looked into this yesterday - highs in the high 80's / low 90's the next 10 days, so not bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts