Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to bikes. Looking to get something to start riding. Right now I am looking at a 1997 Road King with a 80 c.i. EVO. The engine has 20+k on it. The engine is not original to the bike. The trans is the one that came with the bike. I did not get a chance to look at it in person yet.
This where I would need some advice, what do I look for or watch out for? Should I just let this pass? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
It is a good bike for the right price. I had a 97 Heritage for several years. It is a pretty slow engine compared to the 103 that is out but I think that would be a great starter bike if the price is right. I would want to see all of the maintenance records regarding the new engine though. How many miles are on the Odometer? What is the asking price?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a good bike for the right price. I had a 97 Heritage for several years. It is a pretty slow engine compared to the 103 that is out but I think that would be a great starter bike if the price is right. I would want to see all of the maintenance records regarding the new engine though. How many miles are on the Odometer? What is the asking price?
23,000 miles on the odometer. It was turned back. There are records. $5,500 is what they want.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Great bike I bought mine new and still have it .The swing arm is a little light but can easily be swapped for the 02 -07 one .sounds like a good price

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
That is a good price. Since it's not the original engine, ask how it is titled. A rebuilt or salvage title lowers the value. By 1997 the Evo motors were pretty solid and trouble free.

·
But working on it...
53 Posts
I still have my 97 RK, one solid machine and bullet proof engine. While HD has made great advancements with their bikes over the years, my 97 has proven that HD's will last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. If I could find a bad thing to say about it I would have traded up, but I can't.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I still have my 97 RK, one solid machine and bullet proof engine. While HD has made great advancements with their bikes over the years, my 97 has proven that HD's will last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. If I could find a bad thing to say about it I would have traded up, but I can't.
I CAN ! It's too fuggin loud !! LOL !

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
it would be a great bike, don't hesitate

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
I would do it.

My '97 is at 147,000 and I had a new engine put in at 108,000.

Make sure you get paperwork on the engine. LEO's have confiscated bikes before.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts