Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 883 Sportster. Ithas about 42K miles.
I have just completed a 1250 conversion (Hammer kit). I am still completing the break in period. My goal eventually is to cruise. I don't plan to race. I'm sure that when this break in period is over I will want to change something where I can pull lower RPMs while cruising faster. I have looked at 6 speed kits and read a little. I am interested in cheaper solutions. Easier is cool too.
All opinions are appreciated. Im not the best mechanic in the world but I'm patient and I follow instructions well.
Thanks in advance.
I forgot to say it has a problem. I have no idea what it is. In first gear often it feels like a bike would feel if it had a rounded sprocket and chain. Something slips, jerks, witha lot of clonking. The rest of the gears are just fine. Even the problem in first isn't all the time. It's like something didn't get fully engaged.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I would suggest going from a 27 tooth front sprocket to a 29 tooth sprocket. If the slipping feeling is when you are getting a good twist of the throttle, it may be that you clutch needs adjusting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im fairly sure it is not the clutch. Usually they slip smooth. This is rough like a chain jumping teeth on a sprocket.It's only in first but it jerks violently. I would say it is about 1 out of 4 times I get in first. Of course, as you can imagine my temporary solution is to try to get out of first quickly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another quick question:
The break in on this upgrade calls for me to keep it below 3500 RPMs for 500 miles. I don't have a tach on the bike. Right now it is standard 883. How fast is that in 5th gear cruising? If I know that I can gauge the sound.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Im fairly sure it is not the clutch. Usually they slip smooth. This is rough like a chain jumping teeth on a sprocket.It's only in first but it jerks violently. I would say it is about 1 out of 4 times I get in first. Of course, as you can imagine my temporary solution is to try to get out of first quickly.
Far out of adjustment primary chain maybe? It's slacking up and then Jerking the bike when it tensions back up?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Don't the stock 1200s run a different primary ratio? Could be a cheaper solution than a tranny.
They run both a different primary ratio and a different front belt pulley size if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It feels like maybe it isn't going all the way into first gear. I read somewhere about a transmission adjustment third gear /neuteral. About every 25th time the shifter locks up. I have to let the clutch out pull it back in and shift again. That doesn't happen very often.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If it has enough torque, try taking off in 2nd and see if it does it then. Do Sportsters have compensators?

--

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Service manual calls it an engine sprocket and rotor. Primary ratio is the same in both bikes, but the trans ratio is different in 2.26:1 in the 883 and 2.10:1 in the 1200. And 883 has a 27 tooth pulley and 1200 has a 29 tooth pulley.

·
Banned
71 Posts
It feels like maybe it isn't going all the way into first gear. I read somewhere about a transmission adjustment third gear /neuteral. About every 25th time the shifter locks up. I have to let the clutch out pull it back in and shift again. That doesn't happen very often.
Look in your service manual, it has full details on how to do that transmission adjustment . :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate the input from everybody. I am beginning the search for a 29 tooth engine sprocket. I haven't been able to check out this upgrade due to break in. I did climb a bridge yesterday that I climb often and really felt the difference in uphill acceleration.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a buddy that said that the 29 tooth gear was going to do the opposite of what I intended. He said the 29T would increase low speed acceleration at the expense of high speed highway. Could you folks confirn that if I change the engine sprocket from 27T to 29T that it will reduce the RPMS at say 70 mph. I want to cruise and I want to be going faster when I shift gears at the same RPMs. Do I need a 29 or a 25?

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Smaller front sprocket will give you lower top end speeds but will come out of the hole faster. If you go up in tooth count you will lose a little power at the stop light and have more top end speed. The additional power of the Hammer kit may over come the loss in first gear acceleration and give you exactly what you're looking for. Your friend has it backwards. Going from a 27 to a 29 will give you more top end speed. The same would be true if you went down in tooth count on the rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts