Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a chopper based on a 77 shovelhead that was rebuilt with, I think, mostly S & S parts. The guy that built it is out of business so I hope to do more routine maint. on my own.
Not much of a mechanic and could really use help, for starters I want to change the primary oil, so...first, I'm removing the round inspection cover..right ? Do I replace the gasket ? where do I get them (gasket). Is the same 20w-50 oil ok for primary & tranny ? Help !..

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Your first post should be an introduction about yourself. Plus you'll get more answers that way. Also this is not the thread where you post questions.

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
Now that we got that out of the way. Not sure about fluids for shovels, but yes you'll remove the derby cover to add fluid. I'd inspect the gasket first. Mine actually takes an o-ring. Either order online or go to your HD dealer and buy one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There should a small drain plug under derby cover...I believe it is a small allen headed...remove derby cover oil will drain...if you use the Syn3 or other synthetic 20w50 is fine otherwise there is a specific primary oil

·
Retired citizen
22,104 Posts
Remove the drain plug at the bottom rear inner primary. If only a small amount of oil comes out it's a dry primary. The original '77 would be dry if it hasn't been converted to wet. The dry primary has an oil feed hose that can be seen on the upper back side of the inner primary. If you determine it's a dry primary don't put any oil in it.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Need more info. There is a oil line that comes off the oil pump near the top. It's smaller than the rest. If it's there,trace it and see if it goes to the primary. If it does it's what schmitty said. Pull the derby cover and make sure you have a chain also. Could be a belt in there and you don't want oil too. If primary was plugged and you have a chain,once drained, add oil to cover bottom of clutch basket. You want just enough oil to keep it lubed. A quart or less. Alot of shovel owners separated the motor oil to primary to slow down leaks and consumption.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,104 Posts
Also... If it is still a dry primary after removing and replacing the covers make sure they're sealed real good because the primary has to pull 3-5 inches of vacuum so the pump can evacuate the chain oiler oil from the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts