Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm going to be a new rider soon, hopefully, after taking an MSF course. I've absolutely have my heart set on a Streetbob! My concern is; it this too much for a first time rider to bite off? I'm 5'10" 200lbs. Or should I start smaller or a different bike all together. Any advice would be helpful and encouraging from seasoned vets to a noob! Thanks in advance, see ya

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with a Street Bob. It's really all about what you like and you will like it!

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
You're absolutely big enough to handle any bike in the Harley lineup. It's how you ride it that will determine your ability to masticate what you've bitten off.

Good luck in the class. Might test ride a few different bikes just for grins. Might find something else you like even more.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I remember back in the day when I first started to ride I bought a bike to fit the "newbie" class of rider. I was bord with it a couple months later.

My advise is this....If there is a spare bike around you can ride, ride that for a month or so so you can get comfortable riding. Then buy what you want.

I remember when I got my first bike I was going to buy a Suzuki Savage as it felt comfortable (less intimidating) than other bikes. The financing plan at the times was less than desireable so I bought a 92 Yamaha Seca II for cash. It was a good bike that I learned to ride on. I remember the first dat I got it I dumped it at the gas pump as I was nervous as people were all around. I forgot to put down the kick stand before I got off.

All people learn at different pases. I'd have a hard time starting out on a brand new bike looking back on it.

I got my 2013 Super Glide in October after 8 years of not riding. The first day was a little "slow". After that everything was as right as rain.

·
Banned
853 Posts
See you are from New Orleans. Test ride any and all bikes that you're interested in. N.O. should have several dealers many of which soon should have a "demo day" event where many bikes are pulled outside for the sole purpose of test riding. Check and see what days these are and go ride em all.
Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same dilemma a few years back. I bought a sporty then rode a dyna soon after at a demo and wished I would have bought one instead. For the record I'm 6'0 175. You will be fine. Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
You're absolutely big enough to handle any bike in the Harley lineup. It's how you ride it that will determine your ability to masticate what you've bitten off.

Good luck in the class. Might test ride a few different bikes just for grins. Might find something else you like even more.
All mastication is to be confined to the tattoo girl thread...

And to the OP, agreed that your size is not an issue.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Street Bob is a little heavier than most jap bikes and you have to know how to countersteer and throw the weight around. It just takes practice. I think you'll be fine at your size/weight.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
All good advice, only thing I can add is if you can sit on the bike, with both feet flat on the ground, your going to be comfortable, which is a good start. Try before ya buy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My first by was/is a 2012 Dyna Wide Glide. I'm 6'1" 215, like Mongo said, you can handle any model in the lineup. Respect the power that it has, and it has plenty for most seasoned riders. Pay attention to your instructors, keep your head on a swivel and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm going to be a new rider soon, hopefully, after taking an MSF course. I've absolutely have my heart set on a Streetbob! My concern is; it this too much for a first time rider to bite off? I'm 5'10" 200lbs. Or should I start smaller or a different bike all together. Any advice would be helpful and encouraging from seasoned vets to a noob! Thanks in advance, see ya
My first bike also was and is a street bob I love mine the only think I am changing is getting some forward controls. I am 6'1" 220 though....

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a wobbly first month you will be fine on the street Bob. My advice though is start with something a bit older, lighter and less powerful. You won't feel as bad when you dump it and it will be easier to learn on. Yes, yes you will outgrow it quickly, but its easier to learn on a light bike. Older Sporties are cheap, cool...and you can let your girl ride it when you step up to a big twin. Just my $.02. Welcome to the ride, enjoy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never rode until I was 47. Late bloomer. 6'1" 190lbs. Rode a Suzuki 800cc Intruder for 2 seasons. Dropped it once at low speed. I bought it only in case I realized cycling was not for me.
It IS for me so I just made my last bike purchase - an 09 Super Glide Custom. Find it much easier to handle than my Intruder. The balance weight and proportions are all PERFECT.
Go for it.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Size isn't really the issue. I'm a lot smaller than you and I am perfectly happy on my Dyna. However I was never really confident on the Road King that I had before - it was just that bit too heavy and too much of a handful if it got out of shape - which it did when I stopped at a junction and my foot went into a depression in the road, a 0mph rollover complete with 'er indoors on the back and plenty of spectators. I didn't really enjoy riding again until the Dyna arrived.
My first Harley was a Sportster and I found that was more difficult than the FXR that replaced it - I think the centre of gravity is higher.
As others have said, try it first. If you don't feel instantly confident then try something else, even if it's not a Harley. However much you want a Harley, if you don't feel comfortable you'll never enjoy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts