Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just read that Polaris is introducing a model to compete with HD's Heritage model. The new, 2014 Indian Chief will debut at Sturgis in August and will have a price tag of $18,900.
I'm not a big Victory fan (problems, style, resale issues), but just wondering if Polaris will pull off this one right - seeing they have a legendary marquee to uphold now.

Anyone hear more about it yet?
What are your thoughts? I'd like to know.

Thanks,

jp5882

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have always enjoyed the styling of the Indian bikes. Even the later model ones looked amazing, IMO. I just wouldn't pay their price for one and the obscurity of them scared me a little.

If Indian can offer a quality bike that is at the right price point, I think that would be great. It give people options. If nothing else, if sales can get any momentum at all, it puts pressure on the MoCo to offer the best bike they can offer.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
The bike was already ready, they didn't need to change much at all. I gotta tell ya, the last go round was pretty nice for what it was. The bike came from the factory with billet aluminum everything so you didn't have to buy a bunch of new stuff the day you buy your bike to "personalize" it. The air filter was high flow so you just removed the plastic cover. The pipes... pull the removable baffle out and shizam, stage 1 high flow, done at home. There were still plenty of things to add and personalize the bike but for 18k, that MFM better be titst out already. Ya know what I mean?
I'm glad they aren't going with an S&S motor too.
I'm not sure about the frame, handling, or parts longevity or motor ware. I'm betting and hoping that Indians will hang in there a little longer this time. It would be nice to see another American product in the world.

·
Registered
427 Posts
IMHO, until they get a real dealer network their growth will be limited no matter how good the bikes are.

Was looking at them on line yesterday and the nearest dealer to my north Texas location was in Nebraska!

That's a bit far to travel for warranty work, etc.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
IMHO, until they get a real dealer network their growth will be limited no matter how good the bikes are.

Was looking at them on line yesterday and the nearest dealer to my north Texas location was in Nebraska!

That's a bit far to travel for warranty work, etc.
I'm not sure why they couldn't just use the existing network of Polaris dealerships.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
With the way thier company has been running/run, There's no chance that they'll pull ME away from H-D anytime soon. I think the further they seperate "Indian from Victory" the better.

I would like to see them become solid and sucessfull though. I've always liked the Indian's looks.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
I currently have a chief from the Gilroy, CA era...
I just really enjoy the heck out of it.
(Has the S&S powerplant).

(Don't worry... I will ALWAYS own and love my HD).

So I have been following the development pretty closely.
They are really trying to do it right.

As for dealerships, they plan on having 300+ dealerships in the network within the next year (or 18 mos?). Something like that...
The St. Paul dealership is one of their flagships, so I have seen the commitment.

They really want to keep the brand separate from the Vics, hence the separate network.

I have also heard that they will release 3 new models, the one referenced at $19Kish, but also a model in the $12K range and one in the $26K range. (Take all of this as a grain of salt.)

The new powerplant is very cool, and looks looks like a polished up flathead, with the fins and all.

There is going to be some major marketing at the Hills Rally this August.
I will most likely be in the Black hills around the Rally, and looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Indian has tried and failed. There are enough HD that are affordable. If I was in the market for a new bike. What can Indian offer to me that I can't get from a HD. Then have to worry will they be in business three years form now. If they can come out with a bike for 19K that costs 30K from HD I might go look at the Indian. Otherwise why bother. Indian has to come out with something that will shock the industry, for me to consider it.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I wonder how they drop the cost of a currently $37k bike down to $18,999???

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
evohogfarts
1,512 Posts
The first time I saw an Indian (1947 Cheif) was in 1952, I was 5, when my uncle came rolling into my grandmas,
Just a few years ago a friend restored his dads that he bought in 47.
Dont think Indian will make it in todays would, but how knows.
Here is a photo of Eds dads 47 chief, Ed & his o'ladys wedding theam was the bike

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I wonder how they drop the cost of a currently $37k bike down to $18,999???

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I imagine the sales conversation goes as follows:

"You want brakes on it?. Ok, that's a $1,900 upgrade."

"Tires? Oh . . . well . . . tires are $650."

"Battery? Sure. We have them. $180. If you buy it along with all the light bulbs and lenses, we have a package for $1,199."

"Please don't forget the prep and handling fees. We put oil in the motor. Install plugs, and wires, etc. It's $4,399."

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Victory wants to separate too, huh?...
Interesting.
You will notice that the 2013 Victory tank badges look different and no longer have any Polaris logo.

I believe they want to create a separation of there Polaris vehicle line vs Victory and Indian yet Polaris will remain the parent company. The Vic dealer said they want dedicated Indian dealers and won't be selling them along side Victorys.

·
Banned
612 Posts
I hope they do good...it's a legendary brand...they can challenge the MoCo and keep them honest ( maybe even take a little of that HD attitude away from the dealers ) AND they started in MA...:know

1 - 20 of 31 Posts