Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new guy here and thought I would post to get some reaction, I'm sure it's been discussed before so sorry. I left the afraid of... since I almost put disappointment although I don't think I really would be, so I'm not real for sure what word to put in there.

I am cleaning up my current ride (Honda 919) and getting ready to sell. After a ton or reading I've decided I want a 1200 Low. I will be commuting daily but not real far and then head out to the hill country on the weekends with longer motorcycle camping trips ever so often.

The reason for my post is, I have never owned a cruiser. All my motorcycles have also been more on the HP side than most all cruisers (R6,R1, FJR, 919) so I will admit that I am a bit worried about moving to a cruiser. So I figured if I'm going to make the move then I might as well get something I have always wanted which is the 1200 sportster. From everything I have read this would be a great machine for what I have planned and still has the oomph to not get me bored. Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I have an '06 and it's really fun to ride. I wouldn't take long trips on it as that is what my Limited is for. But it's a good first Harley.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Loved my 1200 Sportster. It is well suited for the type of riding you mentioned. And my Sporty was well suited for me, at the time. However, as time went on, I wanted more comfort for longer rides. Got a Dyna. Nice. But...., now I have a Road Glide--and wish I had gotten the RG much sooner.

Decisions, decisions. Ain't it a bit*h?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm 6'2 and the sportster is too small for me. I like the fact that it's relatively cheaper that the bigger cruisers or baggers, light and you can can toss it around but that has trade offs. In my opinion, from a tall guy who only rides for fun and not back and forth to work,Comfort and range are important as well as I would be trading it in for a bigger bike after the first season.

Again it is my opinion everyone has different likes and needs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
526 Posts
I ride with a friend that has a Sportster Low. Based on what you've described it sounds like a good choice. It's not a full blown touring bike, with the weight and a total lack of sporting characteristics that would be typical, but has plenty of power and carrying capacity for taking weekend trips while still easy to handle and have some fun riding. If not for the fact that I'm a short distance rider with no need to carry much I'd probably be riding a Sportster Low.

To seal the deal find a dealer that will let you test ride one.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum from N.Y.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ended up getting the 1200 Sportster over the Road King. Mainly because the RK is more expensive and you are only really getting 10bhp with an added 100kg.

At the same time I can see myself going to a Glide in the future, not because I will out grow the Sporty but the Glide is a different type of bike.
Am about to head out on a 1600 mile tour in May on the Sporty so when I get back I will know for sure :)

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I ended up getting the 1200 Sportster over the Road King. Mainly because the RK is more expensive and you are only really getting 10bhp with an added 100kg.

At the same time I can see myself going to a Glide in the future, not because I will out grow the Sporty but the Glide is a different type of bike.
Am about to head out on a 1600 mile tour in May on the Sporty so when I get back I will know for sure :)
After a 1600 mile road trip I bet you will be shopping. I did 440 miles in one day. Once was enough.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire. Try it before you buy it :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I can promise you Gampa is right. You will be looking to trade before your 1600 mile road trip is complete. with that said, welcome from the backwoods.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I don't think he can go on a 1600 mile road trip without an 8 hour ferry ride....

Well, there is the chunnel. :think

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I ride a Sportster, anywhere from around town to 1200 -1500 mile one way trips. Works great. Is it a touring bike? No, but I don't what a touring bike. If I were you, I'd look at the 1200T, it would be perfect for what you say.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1, 225--and while I love riding my Fat Bob, I never parted with my '93 XLH1200 Sportster. I ride it MOST of the time, especially in bad weather. In 2013 I rode it from Arkansas to the Black Hills, through really bad weather most of the trip. 3600 miles in 6 days. Loved every minute of it.

But then, I've always been different. My love of riding overrides any sense of comfort. And man oh man is the Sportster I got, MAN is it fun in the twisty stuff. I don't know what kind of ground clearance the Sportster Low has, but mine is set up where I got 40° lean angle left, and 39 right. Several suspension mods, and a bunch of V-Twin power. Is it a Sportbike like the R1, R6, GSX-R, etc.? Of course not. But what it IS: It is an American made sportbike. I'd get rid of my 2013 Fat Bob before I'd part with my Sportster.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think he can go on a 1600 mile road trip without an 8 hour ferry ride....

Well, there is the chunnel. :think
this is very true.
Out of the UK into France/Belgium/Holland/Germany/Austria/Lichtenstein/Switzerland/Germany/France/Luxembourg/France/UK
all in 7 days :D

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Welcome & have a look at the Switchback. Very versatile, more power and Camper friendly. A lot of bike, for just a few more bux.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts